Taking original paint/coating off a radiator

Northwind
Northwind Posts: 14,675
edited January 2012 in The hub
My dad's decided to strip the paint off one of their radiators, since it has a bit of corrosion at one end (tbh, I reckon it's leaking, but he wants to repaint the old one rather than replace it). Anyway, it's a total nightmare to get any of the finish off- I'm guessing it's a plastic coating or powdercoat, though it's not quite like the powdercoat I've used myself, much plastickier.

So anyway. What's going to be the best way to shift it? Don't really want to recommend nitromors as he'll probably end up burning himself to bits. I'm thinking either coarse wet and dry, or a wire wheel?
Uncompromising extremist

Comments

• Richie63
    Richie63 Posts: 2,132
    Grit Blast to a SA 2.5 and then re coat within 4 hours
    I'm going to blow the bank on a new build ( within reason ) NOW DONE!!
    http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss14 ... 010362.jpg
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Richie63 wrote:
    Grit Blast to a SA 2.5 and then re coat within 4 hours

Does he want a 10 year warranty?

It will be "E" coated which is a dip process, if leaving in, just rub it down and recoat use a small roller but if its leaking by the time you rub it down repair it and buy the paint would be more cost effective to buy a new one.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Aye, tbh I'd sooner he just got a new one since I'm sure it's leaking- it's heavily rusted on one end only and it's come through from under the coating. No rust anywhere else on the radiator and it's not a damp room, so seems like the only explanation really... But he won't go for it. So, stuck with rubbing it down but that finish does not want to be cut back. Guess I'll stick with the wirewheel and wet and dry, and just accept it as a nasty job. Cheers folks!
    Uncompromising extremist