Overshoes..

wakou
wakou Posts: 165
edited January 2012 in The bottom bracket
Do overshoes help keep the feet warm or just keep off the wet? I cycled yesty and my poor ol' spawgs nearly fell off! Recommends please!

Are these any good?

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CLP ... _overshoes
"I had righteous got my wheel backmost from a fettlin' at the LBS and was hunt transport to equitation it. As it was Refrigerated in the AM......"

Comments

• Ands
    Ands Posts: 1,437
    I have these Gore Oxygen overshoes and they are fleece lined.....keep my feet nice and toasty:

http://www.probikekit.com/uk/gore-bike- ... e_base_gbp

I went out in -1 yesterday, and with these and a pair of Woolie Boolie socks, my feet were fine (can't say the same about my fingers, unfortunately). They are a bit overkill once you get to about 8-10 degrees (although i do wear them with thinner socks when it's not as cold).
  • I would say they do both for sure. Another layer of waterproof insulation a great idea, they also stop your shoes from getting ditched! In thes temps they will help keep wind chill on your toes at bay as well. I wore thick hiking socks and forty socks with my shoes and overshoes and they were nice and toasty!
    Current bike: 2014 Kinesis Racelight T2 - built by my good self!
  • wakou
    wakou Posts: 165
    Ands wrote:
    I have these Gore Oxygen overshoes and they are fleece lined.....keep my feet nice and toasty:

http://www.probikekit.com/uk/gore-bike- ... e_base_gbp

I went out in -1 yesterday, and with these and a pair of Woolie Boolie socks, my feet were fine (can't say the same about my fingers, unfortunately). They are a bit overkill once you get to about 8-10 degrees (although i do wear them with thinner socks when it's not as cold).

FORTY POUNDS!

hmm when are ALDI doing them? :)
    "I had righteous got my wheel backmost from a fettlin' at the LBS and was hunt transport to equitation it. As it was Refrigerated in the AM......"
  • Ands
    Ands Posts: 1,437
    wakou wrote:

FORTY POUNDS!

And.....?? :lol:

What price warm feet?!

They're on their 3rd winter and still as good as new.

Also, just spotted them on Amazon for £31 + p+p
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    BBB seem to make the best value overshoes. Avoid Endura.

I wear neoprene overshoes for my 33 mile RT commute. They are good for both keeping your feet warm and dry (and your shoes clean in the crappier conditions)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • I have these and with good socks I have toasty toes in 3 or so degrees

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/pro-tarmac-npu-road-overshoes/

Whichever ones you do buy get a size up, you will have a good stretch and warm up session putting them on.
  • how big are your plates - planet x has in their bargain bucket - x large or small for a tenner.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • islwyn
    islwyn Posts: 650
    for my 33 mile RT commute.

Your commute is in your signature? That's a beast of a commute... You must have legs like an elephant.
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184

Agree - sort of; have got both, BBB seem best, slightly looser fit , but still happy with Enduras; 3 hour MTB today mid Wales with temps around freezing and river crossings , with sealkins socks and Endura overshoes feet stayed warm and dry :):)
    On road use BBB and decent wool socks, feet stay warm and shoes stay clean; well worth the spend for cold winter days
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    JamesB wrote:

Agree - sort of; have got both, BBB seem best, slightly looser fit , but still happy with Enduras; 3 hour MTB today mid Wales with temps around freezing and river crossings , with sealkins socks and Endura overshoes feet stayed warm and dry :):)
    On road use BBB and decent wool socks, feet stay warm and shoes stay clean; well worth the spend for cold winter days

I have the BBB Heavy Duty's and don't have a single grumble, £20 well spent, nice warm tutsies, and nice warm dry tutsies when its raining. They are a nice slick fit aswell.
  • I use Pro Tarmac Neopene, they keep my feet nice and dry, the best way to keep your feet warm is to wiggle your toes to keep the circulation going.
    Building:
    S-Works Venge, Ultegra DI2, Carbon Clinchers
    Race:
    Moda Stretto, Force Groupset, American Classic Carbon 58`s

Winter:
    Whyte Suffolk, Hydro Disks

Retro:
    Tommasini Super Prestige Full Campagnolo C/W Delta`s
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    If it is any use as feedback, I have had Shimano's PRO Tarmac H2O overshoes, which were rubbish. They have seam tape on the inside, which comes away if you stretch them to get them on.....which of course you have to do! I now use Campagnolo Neoprene overshoes, which keep my feet warm, even when wet from sweat or road spray. However, if you wear bib tights that don't have foot loops then they are a bit short. I guess they were designed to be worn with Campagnolo tights, which of course have foot loops.

PP
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Endura! on my second pair now and i can't fault them, warm and dry.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    I have these and with good socks I have toasty toes in 3 or so degrees

Whichever ones you do buy get a size up, you will have a good stretch and warm up session putting them on.

+1
    Had these for three Winters now, without a single cold foot day. I can't speak for PP however, who must have got a dodgy pair.
    I'm now wearing boots, but they'r enot as good as the o/shoes, just less faffing...
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • JamesB wrote:

I have the BBB Heavy Duty's and don't have a single grumble, £20 well spent, nice warm tutsies, and nice warm dry tutsies when its raining. They are a nice slick fit aswell.

+1 for BBB, these are the ones I've got - Heavy Duty ones I believe. Great quality product and reasonable price.
    Current bike: 2014 Kinesis Racelight T2 - built by my good self!
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    BBB make apoint of an 'open sole' ie the bottom is comletly open to avoid tearing but a velcro strap divides the opening. One trick is use to use a good wool sock eg woolie bullie then the shoe then an oversock eg Prendas (£7.99) then a windproof overshoe. No bulking out the shoes and the insulation is provided by the 2 pairs of socks
    M.Rushton
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I have these:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=43176
    They're neoprene with a fleece back, and keep my feet toasty. They're into their 2nd winter now and there's barely a mark on them.

Pair them with a pair of Woolie Bollie socks and you're laughing !

Highly recommended !!!!
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,171
    For balance I have Shimano PRO overshoes and they are superb. I wore them this weekend (2 degrees) and when I got back my feet were seriously sweaty. I also use their gloves which have the same affect. I have got some Altura night vision waterproof overshoes as well which are thin but they are useless as I just can't get them to do up fully and water always gets in through the bottom in any case.
  • MattC59
    Pross wrote:
    For balance I have Shimano PRO overshoes and they are superb. I wore them this weekend (2 degrees) and when I got back my feet were seriously sweaty. I also use their gloves which have the same affect. I have got some Altura night vision waterproof overshoes as well which are thin but they are useless as I just can't get them to do up fully and water always gets in through the bottom in any case.

+1 for the PRO overshoes and gloves, can't fault them !
  • wakou wrote:
    Do overshoes help keep the feet warm or just keep off the wet? I cycled yesty and my poor ol' spawgs nearly fell off! Recommends please!

Are these any good?

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CLP ... _overshoes

I have these!

Okay for the most part, will keep you dry and warmish - I still find I need to wear a couple of pairs of socks with these. They aren't breathable, not sure if that is common for overshoes as this is my first pair but they do the job and look good.
  • wakou wrote:

I bought some of those last year and to be honest they were not very good, warm'ish but they wear out pretty quickly and fell to bits eventually though I did do a fairly large amount of riding and had to walk up and down 3 flights of stairs wearing them.

I then went with a pair of BBB heavy duty ones which were alright, though not as warm as I would have hoped but I am not keen on wearing thicker socks when wearing riding shoes, but I seem to have lost them, which annoyed me yesterday as I wanted to get in some miles but obviously couldn't find them after moving so will have to get a new set till the weather improves.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Islwyn wrote:

Your commute is in your signature? That's a beast of a commute... You must have legs like an elephant.

Yes - there are people who have more "beastly" commutes though. I'm lucky to commute in such a beautiful part of the world
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • islwyn
    islwyn Posts: 650
    Islwyn wrote:

Yes - there are people who have more "beastly" commutes though. I'm lucky to commute in such a beautiful part of the world

I'll swap ya...
    screenshot20120116at223.png
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    Islwyn wrote:
    Islwyn wrote:

I'll swap ya...

I think you may want to check the scale on your climbs Islwyn
  • MattC59
    Redhog14 wrote:
    Islwyn wrote:
    Islwyn wrote:

I'll swap ya...

I think you may want to check the scale on your climbs Islwyn

I didn't want to say anything.................
    :wink:
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Back to the OP; I got those PX ones in a winter bundle with a set of lights and a beanie hat. Son needed the lights and I wear the hat for walking the dog, so I view the overshoes as essentially free.

They are very warm. Bit of a faff to do up the velcro evenly at the back. Keep the worst of the muck out, but if it's properly raining and you can't avoid the puddles they are not waterproof.

90% of the time these and a pair of woolie boolies keep my feet warm and dry in winter.

Definitely well worth a tenner
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    When these overshoes threads appear, I never see the pair that I own come up as a recommendation. Which I find hard to believe because a) they keep my feet warm; b) they keep my feet dry except for any SMALL amounts of water which enter at the ankle; and c) I've had them for over two years with hardly any damage showing.

Mavic Tempo: http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/clothi ... ogle#85575

Can be had for ~£20.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    I have these and with good socks I have toasty toes in 3 or so degrees

+1
    Also they are the best wearing overshoes I have ever used. When it is very cold I also use some old neoprene overshoes cut of half way along like toe covers underneath the outers.
    Main problem is keeping the inner socks dry, bibthights would be better designed at times to go over the overshoes and reduce the amount of rain water running down legs and into shoes.
    The wet sock boots should be good based on my experience in winter sailing in dingies but are very expensive.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Ben6899 wrote:
    When these overshoes threads appear, I never see the pair that I own come up as a recommendation. Which I find hard to believe because a) they keep my feet warm; b) they keep my feet dry except for any SMALL amounts of water which enter at the ankle; and c) I've had them for over two years with hardly any damage showing.

Mavic Tempo: http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/clothi ... ogle#85575

Can be had for ~£20.
    They look nice, but the only size in stock is XL, which if you click their "Product Info" doesn't actually exist. If you presume that they are larger than L then they are for shoe sizes over 11. :shock: Maybe that's why they are on sale.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    There could be a correlation...
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/