Egg Beaters Cleats

muddly
muddly Posts: 20
edited January 2012 in Commuting general
Hi

I use two pairs of Crank Brothers Egg Beater pedal for my regular commute to work. They have been used for over five years, but until recently I they have perfect for commuting. They have been serviced and rebuilt in my LBS when they needed to be, but in the last few months I keep coming unclipped, usually when hill climbing on my single speed. I have changed the cleats and changed back to my last remaing old style solid brass ones, all to no avail. I have used the same shoes for some time, so I am assuming I don't need t use the plastic shims.

As you can imagine coming unclipped whilst hill climbing on a single-speed is not fun. I love the look of the older style Egg Beaters, so I am keen not to have to throw away the "classic" looking ones, but equally I realise that nothing last for ever. Has any body else experienced this? I was wondering if it might have something to do with the new cleats which look less robust than the earlier ones.

Any thoughts and advice welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Murray

Comments

• I think its more likely to be the spring on the pedal thats gone .
    I had the same problem - thought it was the cleats but turned out to be the actual pedals.

I too was a great fan of the 'egg beater' style and used them on both my touring bike and the mounain bike. I replaced the ones on the tourer wih candys (and was so impressed I did the same on the mtb.) At the time I was experiencing trouble with coming unclipped a bit to easy, similar to what you describe above. I fit the candy's while away from home (the axle had snapped in the egg beaters) but was too lazy to swap the cleats. However, the cleats worked fine with the new pedals and I couldonly conclude that it must have been the spring.

Another thing to check is the actual cleat alignment - crank bros have a lot of float so its quite easy to set them up slighly out of skew without any noticable affect , bu it is possible that they could be set closer to their disengage position and would possiblyunclip a bit too easy. (Hope that makes sense)
    FCN = 9 (Tourer) 8 (Mountain Bike)