Gorges du Verdon

Ands
Ands Posts: 1,437
edited January 2012 in The bottom bracket
Anyone been? With bikes, or kids, or both?

Just trying to choose a family-friendly location for 10 days in August, but must have cycling with lots of climbing. I have found a couple of nice campsites in Castellane, with pools/slides for the children. Are there any flat cycling paths in the area for the children?

Comments

• pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    Been with bikes but not kids. Beautiful and, in my experience, very hilly. Someone else may well know a flat bit - I wished I did when I was there!!!! Stunning ride round the gorge - around 70 miles from memory with around 7000 feet of climbing - stunning views and amazing climbs and descents. Castellane seemed a nice enough place too - though we merely staggered to the same bar/restaurant each evening from the hotel. Loads to do for kids on and around the river and an incredible bungee jump off one of the bridges - scared me just watching. Enjoy
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Anywhere near/around Lac du Sainte Croix will be flat-the Gorge is very steep to hike/bike but unrivalled in Europe and if the children are not too small will make for an amazing holiday.Even a day with a pedalo/kayak up the Gorge is worthwhile for adults never mind children-the water is turquoise and very clear.We stayed in Moustiers, a short drive away where there are campsites and good hotels/restaurants.Enjoy.

http://www.provenceweb.fr/e/groupes/verdon/lac3.htm
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    We hired a canoe when I was at an awkward teenage phase and went up the gorge, (low) cliff jumping and such. There were several canoes of topless tanned girls going up and down the river...oh my god, best day ever although I had to keep jumping in the cold water....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Richie63
    Richie63 Posts: 2,132
    I suppose you you mean Verdon?

I've spent many years there both climbing and recently on family hols. Eurocamp do a fantastic site at a couple of klics out of Castellane part of the Les Castels group and as such they are excellently run campgrounds( ref HPO11).

I'm into mountain biking and all I can say is there are some superb rides to be had around this region

The walk though the gorge is well worth doing ( take a torch for the inital tunnel section)

Map for the region 3542 OT Castellane /Lac de Castillion and 3442 OT Gorges du Verdon / Moustiers- ste-Marie/ Lac de ste Croix
    P8113502.jpg
    View from top of gorge toward Mt. Robion and Castellane
    Anything else just PM me
    I'm going to blow the bank on a new build ( within reason ) NOW DONE!!
    http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss14 ... 010362.jpg
  • Richie63
    Forgot to say campsite is very kid friendly and put on loads of activities and have rustic/regional/very french entertainment in the grounds next to the pub so you are never far from kids at any time and the pools are good but do enforce the No Baggy Shorts rule :( speedos only
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Stayed in a beautiful little village called Cabris, absolutely blinding holiday, but my chosen bike for that holiday was a Yamaha R1. The gorge ride was good, but fookin dangerous.
    Can't say I'd fancy doing that on my roadie though... Christ that'd be tough.
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Richie63
    Re reading your first post there are non off the flat cycle paths that you would find say near Annecy for instance but from the campsite I mentioned to Castellane there is a good couple of Kilometers of flat back road riding which is usually the main walking route everyone takes . The campsite is large and my kids had their bikes and loved it.
  • Ands
    hopper1 wrote:
    Stayed in a beautiful little village called Cabris, absolutely blinding holiday, but my chosen bike for that holiday was a Yamaha R1. The gorge ride was good, but fookin dangerous.
    Can't say I'd fancy doing that on my roadie though... Christ that'd be tough.
    That's a nice bike. I remember spending a lot of time on the back of one of them many moons ago! :wink:

When you say tough & dangerous, in what way? Wasn't planning on doing the whole 140km round trip but just a little bit of climbing to keep me on my toes for Ventoux the following week............

Thanks for all the replies......as the Ventoux week won't be as much fun for the kids we're trying to make sure we get a decent campsite/area for them to have their week of fun. At the moment, we can't deide whether to go back to what we know in Bourg d'Oisans (and, believe it or not, the children love it, with all the activities in the area and scenery, picnics, cable cars etc) or try something new like Castellane. (We've also talked about Annecy again, because of the great cycle paths)
  • Ands
    Richie63 wrote:
    I suppose you you mean Verdon?
    That'll be the one! (Spelling duly noted & corrected :oops: :) )