air leaking out of new rp3 rear shock

trekex
trekex Posts: 4
edited January 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
i have a new 2012 trek ex 9(fantastic) but ______ ! .the rear shock will not hold air (-50 psi loss over night) i have had a replacement but that also has the same fault, LBS are on the case to resolve hopefully.
anyone else got the same problem?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Is it really losing air or are you just forgetting that every time you attach the pump the pressure drops.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    How are you checking that it is losing air. The aircan is small and when you connect a pump the shock will lose a significant amount of air just to pressurise the pump to get a reading. Around 50psi would not be unreasonable.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I must learn to type with more than two fingers.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • trekex
    trekex Posts: 4
    The shock looses around 5psi when you disconnect the pump.
    Also when riding it looses around 30 psi in an hour,apparently there is a fault with the new design and fox are looking into it? hopefully soon, I love the bike but having to pump it up every half an hour is not good.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    If you're correct then back to the shop.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    trekex wrote:
    The shock looses around 5psi when you disconnect the pump.
    Also when riding it looses around 30 psi in an hour,apparently there is a fault with the new design and fox are looking into it? hopefully soon, I love the bike but having to pump it up every half an hour is not good.

No it may lose 5 psi when you attach the pump to check. But if as you say it is then changing at ll it is faulty. As is should not do so.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown