How do you follow routes? mapmyride?

theboykidney
theboykidney Posts: 95
edited January 2012 in Road beginners
Have a ride logged in mapmyride but want to follow it again, anyone know how I can get a map, with this route highlighted and an active GPS on a phone? or if this is even possible...?
Cheers.

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I wouldn't be tempted by the Mapmyride printouts. They only cost a small amount but they really are rubbish. I prefer to convert the route to a routemap, as per audaxing, e.g.,

20 Miles. TL, then Imm Right into BOURTON High St
    24 miles. Thro Village, TR @ T, sp The BARRINGTONs

Using Google maps helps by looking at some of the key junctions (in streetview) to see what is written on signposts, etc. I also have an old road atlas and just rip out the right page and stick in my back pocket in case I get lost (knowing you need to turn the next left only applies if you are on the right road :) ).

I know the modern way is GPS but I quite enjoy doing my own thing, with a small mapholder like this.
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    I like Bobbinogs method.

Me and a mate followed a google maps route once, it sent us down this "road"

263704_10150304429524187_515049186_9126274_2683853_n.jpg
  • A few years ago google maps recommended a route to the Isle of Mull to me that involved turning left at the intersection of two ferry routes!

I've tried bike route toaster and really like the routes that it picks out. However the turn by turn directions are rubbish... I'd be interested to hear of any software that generates good ones...

Andy
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    I have to say that the suggestion from Bobbings seems inherently sensible, despite being low-tech. I have a GPS but seem to get along better with a laminated list of turns and junctions.

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    A page from an AA road map book (bought for £2 from bargain books) carried in a foid bag in the back pocket so you can check you are on the right road, a highlighter pen so you can mark the route when you get home for next time, and a £15 bike computer to tell you how far you have cycled ...