Cutting steerer - anyone used one of these?

101_North
101_North Posts: 607
edited January 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I've a fork steerer to cut on a new set of Revs. Has anyone any experience of the following type of tool? Is it up to the job?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001 ... B0051OE4W0

I reckon at the very least - even if it didn't cut right through - it would give a decent guide for finishing with a hack saw.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Easily.

They are not that tough. Just have a go with the hacksaw. If you've got an old stem, bolt it on as a guide and measure and think twice !
  • I bought a hacksaw from asda for 60p and marked the line with tape and a spacer. then tidied up with a metal file.

Tis fine.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Those are a bit rubbish, meant for cutting soft copper pipe. Work OK on aluminium steerers, not very well on steel. Just go with a hacksaw. The top doesn't even need to be perfect - it doesn't touch anything.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Dont use a pipe cutter it leaves a big burr on the inside of the steerer which takes a fair bit of filing to remove before you can fit the star nut. Hacksaw and masking tape is what you want or if you want to do it dead straight use one of these Cutting Guide I have one and it does the job fine I bought it to cut down some carbon bars.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • 101_North
    101_North Posts: 607
    Cheers guys. Not shy of using a hacksaw at all so Ill give it a go :-)

Thanks for the info

• barty81
    barty81 Posts: 145
    just shortened the steerer on my reba's with these pipe cutters from b&q.....
    http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/handtools-st ... r-11247828
    and finished it of by using a curved file on the inside to smooth it out. didnt have a problem tapping the star nut in.
    Giant xtc
    Canyon nerve am 7
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Easy....

temporary-29.jpg

Buy a proper mans hacksaw you cheapskate :lol:
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • stubs wrote:
    Easy....

temporary-29.jpg

Buy a proper mans hacksaw you cheapskate :lol:

it does look a bit camp doesn't it hahaha!

But, for 60p i'm impressed it made it through my steel steerer!
  • ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    OP - I have one of thse, sure I paid much less at b&q though. Did the job fine, steerer and bars, but wouldn't fancy trying to do the same with a steel steerer - if that is the case, hacksaw needed. Whatever you do, you'll need a file