Cheap basic tyres

TrickyGB
TrickyGB Posts: 81
edited January 2012 in Road beginners
Hello,

Looking for some cheap basic tyres to replace my nitro prorace tyres (I'm not looking to get the same set as find taking them on and off a nightmare and I've read others have similar problems). I'm just a beginner so not looking to spend a fortune, any ideas? Something durable would be handy

Thanks

Comments

• simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,707
    I'd suggest Bontrager Race Lite Hardcase, I get mine from here. They are tough, have excellent puncture protection and last well. I've never had any problems fitting them.

Otherwise Schwalbe Blizzard (£6 each at the same place, here), Blizzard Sport or Vittoria Rubino (the wire bead ones are cheaper than folding). I'd avoid the Schwalbe Lugano and cheap Michelin road tyres.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    also see if you can find some Speediums - excellent value tyres
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • Thanks for the replies. I've been looking online and although a little more than I wanted to pay originally I can pick up one of the following tyres for around or under £20, they seems to get reasonable reviews, anyone got any experience of them?

Schwalbe Durano S
    Michelin Lithium or Prorace 3

I'm edging towards the Durano S but some say they can be a struggle to get on?
  • TrickyGB wrote:

Brilliant tyres, where are they £20?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • TrickyGB wrote:

Brilliant tyres, where are they £20?

Actually £22, an eBay bike shop has them in either red or white (sorry cant link as found on my phone app) Would you opt for these?

Also seen schwalbe blizzard very cheap! Too much choice
  • ChrisSA
    ChrisSA Posts: 455
    I've 2 Vittoria Zaffiro tyres you can have cheaply. They've done ~20 miles.
    Fecker to fit though!
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    ChrisSA wrote:
    I've 2 Vittoria Zaffiro tyres you can have cheaply. They've done ~20 miles.
    Fecker to fit though!

I fitted them ok, but Vittoria Rubinos are easier to fit, even the wire bead ones.

I've covered thousands of miles on Rubinos (Or the kevlar beaded pros) and never had any real problems with them

And they're not expensive
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I have been using Durano S on one of my commuting bikes. No dramas so far over a good couple of thousand miles. £22.50 from the excellent High on Bikes ebay shop and they have the ungarish black ones!

No problem to put on and take off despite me using Campag wheels which are also supposed to be difficult.

BTW - I know where you are coming from. My Ribble (the above mentioned bike) came with Pro Race Nitros and I holed the sidewall of one trying to get it off the rim! I didn't want the tyres at the time and I was a bit annoyed that Ribble inflicted them on me. I'd have rather had nothing......
    Faster than a tent.......