I am the Trek project one winner help please

AlbertGregory
AlbertGregory Posts: 5
edited January 2012 in Road beginners
Hi everyone , I'm the trek project 1 winner and will be getting a trek madone road bike , I have been to the show this week and have been fully measured to size for the bike I have won , I'm now waiting for my prize to be delivered . The problem I have only been biking for 7 months now and have only been doing this on a trek mountain bike , I have no road bike experience what so ever and feel that anyone that has any knowledge on road biking would be very helpfull and usefull to me ! I plan to compete to a high standered , I have a good all round fitness from boxing , running and also mountain biking , but it just seems a million miles away from road biking , has anyone got any advise on how to find out about any oncoming races or clubs to join . I am based around the Harlow area ...... Many thanks Albert ....

Comments

• BruceG
    BruceG Posts: 347
    See there isnt a god, or any justice.

If you are going to compete to a HIGH standard, you shoukd research all the other "I am the next lance" threads on here.
    Join British Cycling, here you can get your race licence and research up and coming events, and join a local club,these can also be researched from British Cycling, however some in your area are, Glendene, Chelmer CC, Essex Roads etc etc.
    I look forward to seeing you on this summers ITV 4 coverage
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Firstly, congratulations Albert!

So, you have a few questions there so I will answer a couple. Finding a club is relatively easy as there are two main choices, British Cycling affiliated or CTC. BC has this tool. CTC has this one.

There are many other clubs out there so you can also ask around in cafe stops, etc. The hard part can be finding a club you like! Some are welcoming to all but lack a keen competetive edge, some are more than happy to correct you when you turn up wearing a jersey with the wrong stripes, etc. However, most have rides for different abilities and will let you hop between them as you improve. Give it a go is my advice as I think that riding in a good club is a fantastic thing (I am lucky that I have several really good ones to choose between) and the canny members will know all the best routes and cake stops, as well as help you with your fettling.

Personally, I would not worry about the "I plan to compete to a high standard" for now as you have a quite a bit to do first (and don't underestimate how long it will take to turn your good fitness into good cycling strength/fitness). Just get out as much as you can on your fantastic new bike but don't overdo it. Pick a nice target, like a 100M sportive and then work in a structured way towards it following something like this or your own plan (with some input from the chaps/chappetes at the club). Also, pick a couple of mini targets to keep you going, e.g., ride an undulating 50M in 3 hours, ride a flat TT 10M in 30 minutes, do a 100K sportive in 4 hours, etc.

Your club may also run races/audaxes/TTs, etc., and/or you may find some of the guys who do all that and can advise you as you go along so getting into competing is a worthy target...but not one to worry about this week. Try not to learn everything all at once (although feel free to post like you actually do know everything, it works for most of us :wink: )... the main bit is to enjoy your riding and the rest will come. Oh, don't forget to start ignoring other road users on hybrids/mountain bikes (or basically anyone wearing trainers) now that you have a decent bike :)
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    Congrats !!!!, if you dont want it i can give you £5 for it :), i mean these road bikes are a bit wobbly and break easy so i will take it of your hands ..............
    FCN 3/5/9
  • Lucky, lucky you! Excellent response from Bobbinogs, +1 to everything he said.
  • EarlyGo
    EarlyGo Posts: 281
    Hi Albert,

You lucky so and so!

cyberknight is just trying to rip you off! I'll give you £15 and save you all that worry about the carbon fibres being damaged and weakened by sunlight and all the subsequent stress of warranty claims and ensuing depression.

Excellent reply from Bobbinogs. +1 to all that.

Regards, EarlyGo
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    amazing. what spec are you going for di2?
  • amnesia
    amnesia Posts: 118
    No thoughts on local clubs for you, but congratulations... it's nice to win stuff !!
    2013 Focus Izalco Pro 2.0 UDi2
    1999 Sunn Vertik II MTB - old skool !
  • hi everyone i am very greatful for all your good advice yes i can see in terms of being cyclings fit on a road bike im not their as i dont have a road bike yet still waiting for it on my mountain bike i do about 47miles a week off road the mud is hard going its my for winter riding lol i have hoping my boxing an running will bring my lung power up their anyway i will put your advice to good use many thanks albet