Nicknames of the Peloton

frenchfighter
frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
edited January 2012 in Pro race

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    I knew all apart from The Devil, The Gypsy, The Little Gardener and King. I think Angel of the mountains is cyclist with initials C.G. but not sure.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    I'm not sure 'Cuddles' should be there. I always thought that was meant to be a derogatory nickname.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    You are right on the Angel of the Mountains.

I'm surprised you didn't get the King and the Devil. If you don't know much about the latter then get over to YouTube, he's the kind of rider you'd appreciate as he was an attacking rider on all terrains.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Whoever called Larry "Mellow Johnny" or have I got the wrong USPostie. Since when has he ever been Mellow?!?!?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    ddraver wrote:
    Whoever called Larry "Mellow Johnny" or have I got the wrong USPostie. Since when has he ever been Mellow?!?!?

Indeed, but then again when did Jan get made Emperor, Marco fly the skull and crossbones or Eddie consume human flesh. I think with nicknames you're allowed a degree of fanciful romance :)
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    ddraver wrote:

I don't Larry was ever "Mellow Johnny" as such - its the name of his bike shop, after how his young daughter pronounced "maillot jaune"

Best USPostie nickname has to be Timoid's "Eagle of Long Island" for Hincapie after the latter's stage win to Pla d'Adet in the 2005 TdF.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,550
    LangerDan wrote:
    I don't Larry was ever "Mellow Johnny" as such - its the name of his bike shop, after how his young daughter pronounced "maillot jaune"

Too cute. Love it.
  • "There's onlllllly ooonnneeee King Kelly, onnnnneee King Kelly, walking along, singing a song, walking in a Kelly wonderland" as David Harmon is often heard singing
  • The Little Gardener must be Herrera? Or Parra?

The Devil was Chiapucci wasn't it?

and Jans full nickname was "Der Kaiser, Dark Lord, Crusher of Souls, Master of all that dies and is never reborn"
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Er, no tornado?
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I bought one of these before Christmas. It's with a framer at the moment, hopefully ready to collect later this week :)
  • rick_chasey
    In Holland I only ever heard Pantani be called the 'little elephant'.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Er, no tornado?

Who?
  • rick_chasey
    Er, no tornado?

Who?

:|
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Er, no tornado?