LVIS Audax 2012 (Barry's Bristol Ball Buster)

springtide9
springtide9 Posts: 1,731
Heads up for cycling folks around the South West...

Registration is now open for: LVIS Audax 2012 (Barry's Bristol Ball Buster)

Details at: http://www.facebook.com/events/354820957866744 & http://audax.lvis.org.uk/

The Las Vegas Institute of Sport returns for a third year with two challenging Audax routes for the South West calendar taking in some of the sights of Bristol, its outskirts and beyond. Both are being held in honour of the illustrious founder of the Institute, Mr Barry Jaeger.
We hope to encourage new riders to discover the wonderful world of Audax riding by offering both a 116km and 214km route with the majority on quiet, pleasant roads.
Introduced in 2010 this event proved very popular and last year nearly 300 riders enjoyed the varied route and generous baking presented in the unique 'Vegas Way'. Have a look through the gallery of pictures for a taste of what you can expect.

I haven't personally ridden this before (only my first year on a roadie), but have heard good things about the event. Anyone else doing this event this year and/or last? Only £6 (or actually £8.50 all in) so a bargain!
Simon

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Signed up the other week, looking forward to it...
  • You won't regret entering. It is a genuinly fun event because of the LVIS's manic humour, camaraderie and pleasant routes. You must stop off at the first control at Hill, where the village hall is packed to the gunnels with cake and some fearsome looking WI ladies ready to sell you their wears.

Which reminds me, I best submit my entry soon.
  • Just signed up for the shorter version (Barry's Bristol Bash?). Looking forward to doing a few Audax's in the area leading up the Etape du Tour in the summer.
  • Will there be enough cake!? ;-).
  • t0ph0id
    t0ph0id Posts: 191
    Did it last year, entered again today, looking forward to it!
  • just did mine, entry no. 348. seems this is filling up really quickly
  • Bobbinogs
    So, how did you chaps get on? I thought the 200k was fantastic, although hard not to be in that weather. Bit nippy early doors but I was surprised to see so many folks wearing all the contents of their wardrobe given the forecast. I went very light and was blinking cold for the first 30 mins but soon warmed up and it turned out to be very warm later on.

Yet another ride to prove that audaxes have a lot of life on them, great turn out, nice mix of male/female of all ages with enthusiastic control manning...and those WI ladies know how to bake a cake (err, mountain of cake).

Anyone who hasn't done this I thoroughly recommend it, 500 riders in total between the 100k and 200k and the longer route was a lovely mix (2,200m of climbing, 215k long). All in all, great in my books :) .
  • springtide9
    Has a great day! Got caught out roughly this time last year with the weather... so carried more than I needed around the 200k.

My first Audax and I must say very well organised event for a very reasonable entry fee. And obviously thanks to the WI for selling such lovely cakes ;-)

And just to prove I didn't make it up, I was there :)
    http://app.strava.com/rides/5708172
    Can't believe we must have spent almost 1.5 hrs eating cake!
    Simon
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    [...]

My first Audax and I must say very well organised event for a very reasonable entry fee. And obviously thanks to the WI for selling such lovely cakes ;-)

Ditto, so only did the 116km route. Great weather and a very friendly crew both riding and doling out refreshments. Looking forward to seeing the pictures taken on the ride. Must spend more time noshing cake next year!
  • Bobbinogs
    Blimey, you did enjoy the cakes Springtide :D , nom nom nom.

I did total time of 8'10", with a rolling time of 7'55"ish (so not much different), cake time at the end for me :wink:
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Respect to the cake makers. I just found a sweaty piece of LVIS marzipanned fruit cake in my back pocket. Have I had too much cake already today? Well a small nibble wouldn't hurt....

94 miles today - I've got tan lines on my arms and legs. Bring on the summer.
  • springtide9
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Blimey, you did enjoy the cakes Springtide :D , nom nom nom.
    I did total time of 8'10", with a rolling time of 7'55"ish (so not much different), cake time at the end for me :wink:

We were in no rush and the weather was beautiful as you know and cycled with a good friend I don't see that often, so the cake stops were a good time for a nibble and a chat :)

8'10 is a very good overall time. Well done :)
    Simon
  • Congratulations to Marcus and the rest of team at LVIS for another excellent event, plus I must not forget the WI ladies.

I rode the 200km event and it was as challenging as ever, it was a hard push to return by 5pm this year. The route changes have improved on what was already a good event. Yes, it was a sharp nasty little climb up to the Somerset Monument but the new route is a vast improvement through keeping to the lanes.

Oddly, I went off piste on a couple of occasions probably due to dozing and ended up with an extra 10km.

The climb out of Portbury was a troublesome as ever.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    For those interested, Ed Rollason's photos of the event are on his website.