9 Speed mech on a 10 speed cassette

Kaise
Kaise Posts: 2,498
edited January 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
so the long and short of it

my blue pig came with a 3x10 x7 set up, the rear mech and hanger were bent in a crash, the hanger is now straight.

i had a Sram x0 rear mech in the draw which had little to no wear on it so i thought
"the indexing of the gear is done by the shifter so, in theory the rear mech once set correctly will run 10 speeds."

the mech is fitted and the shifting is smooth a precise, but there is one problem, it will not reach the 1st (largest) sprocket on the cassette, the limit screw isn't stopping it, it seems as though the parallelogram of the mech won't let it go that far!

so have i missed something?
will this be alright as it is for a temp fix until i get my hands on a 10speed mech replacement?

cheers

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Will not work. See the topic in the FAQs.

Dot ally different workings.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Kaise
    ta, but it will work for the 9speeds and be alright for a few weeks until i get a new mech though won't it?

FAQ read, sorry, should have looked there first!
  • nicklouse
    Nope totally different pull ratios you may have a gear or two where things happen to align.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • nicklouse
    Actually it needs more SRAM info in it. The SRAM 10 spd system pulls the same amount of cable for each shift. The 9 spd system pulls different amounts of cable. Currently I don't have the amounts but it does need looking into.

Maybe I need 10spd on one bike!
  • Kaise
    cheers, i might just change it to 9 speed as i already have a spare 9 speed shifter, sod the front mech off and run it 1x9
  • nicklouse
    Just keep the front as is and run the 10spd chain with 9 set up on the back. Or do you want to be a real Pig and see how the 10 shift and 9 rear mech mash/mish work or not?
  • Kaise
    yeah tomorrow morning I'm changing the 10 speed shifter for the 9 speed X0 i've got in the drawer and then i'll change the rear cassette to a 9 speed.