Mongoose Salvo Comp 2012 Vs. Lapierre X-Control 110 2012?

wes62
wes62 Posts: 5
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hey, long story but i've basically got a choice between a 2012 mongoose salvo or a 2012 lapierre
X-Control 110 for about an extra £80-£100 and i dont know what to do . . . from what i can gather:

-the mongoose looses on gear comparison
-I cant find much info for the tektro brakes on the mongoose but am a little put off by them
-the lapierre's Rockshox Xc28 forks dont seem to be highly thought of but then i dont know about the mongooses Suntour XCR forks either . . ?
-and i dont know about either of the rear shocks

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated! I know that neither are really 'high' spec mountain bikes but they're my options and i just want to make the best decision. So the Mongoose or Lapierre . . what do you rekon?

Cheers, wes.

Comments

• castlelad
    castlelad Posts: 414
    I have the 2011 savlo comp, and i only paid £800 squids (on cyclescheme), i cannot pick fault with it , its more than good enough for me, yes the tektro brakes aint the best, mine are already "spongey" but it has had some hammer since sept !. the kenda kadre tyres i felt were shocking on anything more than damp ! The forks are nice and smooth, the shock the same, all round im more than happy with her......................i think the only difference from the '11 model to the '12 is colour and an extra £200......knowing what i know now and seeing what i could get for a grand i'm not sure i'd pay the extra, but thats just my honest opinion....... and you are getting a bit better spec on the lapierre.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Why are those your only options. You could do better with a bit of shopping around.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • wes62
    hey, cheers castlelad and yeh i know i could get better shopping around but basically i had my 2008 specialized fsr xc comp stolen a couple of weeks ago an i've got £1000 to spend at wheelies.co.uk on insurance. pretty annoying because i've found some awesome deals for £1000 chainreaction and that . . so yeh £1000 at wheelies and thoes are the 2 i rekon im going to go for.
  • cooldad
    What indemnity does your policy give? Or how did they get to that value. If you are insured for replacement value, the FSR is £1500.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • wes62
    yeh i know, wish i could get one of the new cambers! but i bought it second hand in 2009 for £615 so it was only insured for £600. But the policy gets me same or equivalent spec and i think they've got some kinda deal with wheelies which is why i've got £1000 to spend at wheelies.
  • cooldad
    But is it the equivalent spec?. I would reckon it would be much better. They will have a deal with wheelies though, probably get 30-40% off the prices you see. Bit of a rip really, I can't see wheelies selling many bikes to the actual public at those prices.
    Tough choice really. Might be worth a thread just on the forks to see what people think. I haven't used either of those. That's the biggest expense if they are lousy. Everything else would be fine.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • wes62
    yeh true, good point cheers. They obviously do a lot with insurance because they've got a special insurance department with a separate number on their website and they seem to be the only online retailer with 99% 2012 bikes at high prices . . ah well.
  • What did you go for after ???

Soz pretty much a newbie so not much clue on how to advise but got the x control 110 back in November. It's serving me well as you said the forks are a little on the light side and something I will be upgrading but altogether it serves me well. As for the mongoose can't really comment as don't know the bike really :(