Clipless fixed?

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited January 2012 in Commuting chat
Having got my head around this clipless malarky I'm now concious of the weight of the Sylvan tracks on Dizzy my fixeh and the additional efficiency of stiff soled cycling shoes.

Anyone clipless on fixed? Or am I the only one still using cages?
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    isn't that the only way to ride fixed?
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I honestly don't fancy fixed, but I imagine clipless is the safest option. Anything to avoid your foot slipping off a pedal which ain't gonna stop if the bike's still rolling.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    isn't that the only way to ride fixed?

most people use cages/clips.

I ride clipless and seem nice and secure...
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Definitely clipless. I only run a front brake so foot retention is essential. Clips/cages went out in the 80s.

The 1880s.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • SimonAH
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Definitely clipless. I only run a front brake so foot retention is essential. Clips/cages went out in the 80s.

The 1880s.

Ha! OK, I'm just thinking of the time I had major pedal strike action on a mini roundabout - clipped in and I would have been ploughing tarmac furrows with my incisors....

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Clipless since I started commuting, I'm not certain toeclips would save many teeth in the event of an event
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    SimonAH wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

The 1880s.

Ha! OK, I'm just thinking of the time I had major pedal strike action on a mini roundabout - clipped in and I would have been ploughing tarmac furrows with my incisors....

Don't lean. I've just gone from 170 to 175mm cranks and I clip tarmac much more often, so I'm getting into the habit of slowing more/going wider at bends. As you say, I like my teeth where they are.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Yup - clipless fixed.

I used to use those campag quill copies with half toe clips - easy in and easy out with Converse all stars (in camo, of course). However, up some of the hills, there was not enough grip on the half clip to pull on the cranks and haul it......

Hence; I went clipless and never looked back.

I use 165mm cranks - lots of clearance, although my frame is a TT frame, it has a 11" BB height - same as a track frame. However, converted road frames and some 'off the shelf' frames may have road geometry and less BB clearance so long cranks *could* be face plant material.....

I think that 10.5" inch from floor to centre of BB is standard road height.
  • SimonAH
    Interesting - just measured the CX (using her through the winter months) and she's 11" from floor to centre of BB30. I'll measure up the fixed when I get home.

Good point on the crank lengths - I must admit that the 'pedal strike' incident put some major fear of god into me and has affected my fixed riding, it was seriously scary.

• My revolution track bike hah!

Is 11inches on the button, with 170mm cranks, this said I run it SS as once I like corners and downhills, and to be honest freewheeling.

I'd be bit miffed if I was limited to just over 30mph which is what my gearing gives me.
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    Im about to flip my flop and go fixed for the first time ever.......SPD's all the way FTW
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • SimonAH
    Siht! Just measured Dizzy and she's 10.5" with 175 cranks, weird looking at the angle of lean in a static position. You wouldn't think it possible to ground out on skinny little bicycle tyres.

Guess this means I need a higher BB. In Ti. In the interests of safety you understand.

Justin? Mr Burls Sir? Could I have a minute?

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    SimonAH wrote:
    Siht! Just measured Dizzy and she's 10.5" with 175 cranks, weird looking at the angle of lean in a static position. You wouldn't think it possible to ground out on skinny little bicycle tyres.

Same as my Singlecross, I'll stick to the freewheel for the time being I think.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Drfabulous0
    Drfabulous0 Posts: 1,539
    Been riding fixed and clipless for ages now and I have found that the cheap pedals like shimano m520s don't work as the cleats rip out of the pedals when braking. I am using old xts and they are ideal, loads better than toeclips. Pedal Stoke is less of a concern because the pedals don't stick out as far but 175mm are asking for trouble.