2x9 Couple of Questions (sorry!)

fat_homer
fat_homer Posts: 470
edited January 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I’m looking to ditch the big ring from my SLX chainset on my Soul. Before I go ordering bits and bobs, I just want to make sure of a couple of things.

I won’t be using a bash as I don’t think I’ll need one, so am I right in saying I’ll need shorter chainring bolts, or is it a good idea to run one anyway?

My chainset is 10s, most 34/36t rings I can find are 9s, will these work (I’m running a 10s chain but 9s cassette and rear mech) or will I need to find a 10s one?

Is a chain device advisable or will I be ok without one, I’ll be shortening the chain but my rear mech is long cage if this makes a difference.

Cheers! :D

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    short bolts or a grinder/file.
    rings are the same.

you should be running a 9speed chain really or your front shifting can be off.

if you want two. a bottom roller is a good minimum.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • fat_homer
    Cheers Nick, I'll attempt to file my current bolts, save a bit of cash!

I was under the impression that the chain should match the front front mech. Not that it matters to much, shiftings been fine since I put it together and I'll go 10s throughout when the cassette has had it.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    fat_homer wrote:
    Cheers Nick, I'll attempt to file my current bolts, save a bit of cash!

I was under the impression that the chain should match the front front mech. Not that it matters to much, shiftings been fine since I put it together and I'll go 10s throughout when the cassette has had it.
    Yes but no where until now has the front mech been mentioned. Also 10 spd front mechs don't shif well with 9spd shifters. Or is that 10spd as well.

See why it is all in the details.

A 2X9 setup with 10 spd cranks and chain. I would read that everything else is 9spd as you picked out two parts that were not. Likewise if you had not mentioned that any were 10spd it would have be read that it was all 9spd.

;)
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • fat_homer
    Fair point, though I thought people could read minds, or is that just my other half!

Everything is 9s, except the chainset, front mech and chain and all seems to work pretty well together, at least as well as my old bike which was 9s throughout.

Thanks again
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Well youre different to most - I take it you bought the wrong crank?

To go x10 you need a new rear mech, cassette (chain ,depending on wear) and shifter. big bucks...
  • fat_homer
    Not the 'wrong' crank as such. I went to Afan last september and managed to thread the drive side pedal insert almost bang on half way round W2! After riding all the way back to the trail centre with one pedal, the shop sold me a 10s chainset and put my deore 9s rings on, think it was all they had. So when I built up my soul I got a second hand set of deore cranks and kept the shiny 10s SLX! Works so I'm happy.