My ding a ling

walkingbootweather
walkingbootweather Posts: 2,443
edited January 2012 in Commuting chat
Kids got me a new bell for Christmas. After some nagging I finally fixed to my bike this morning. Looks very professional with an integrated compass.

Set off this morning and compared with my GPS and was amazed to see that it was actually pointing in more or less the right direction. Then I turned a corner and found that it was still pointing in more or less the same direction relative to my bike. Conclusion - my bike must be a big magnet. (or the compass is cr*p)

At least it has a pleasant tinkle. Actually I lying about that too - it has a distinctly unattractive peal.

Tell us if you have a ding a ling, and if so what do you use it for and what sort of tinkle do you get out of it?
Nobody told me we had a communication problem

Comments

• I had a ding-a-ling, it used to go ting-ting but only if I flicked it right... but as nobody took any notice of it I removed it....
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Jon Snow has the biggest ding-a-ling I've ever seen, but then he's quite a tall bloke.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    The resto I built for MrsAH has a 'bringbring'. her SS has a 'bing' and number one in the charts on the day of her birth was indeed 'my dingaling'.

I, on the other hand, have only lungs. Which suggests that she is thrice the dingaling of me. Which figures.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    I want you to play with my ding - a - ling
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • spen666 wrote:
    I want you to play with my ding - a - ling

Sorry, Spen I hadn't realised that was the sort of soliciting that you did....
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    I use my mouth
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Greg T wrote:
    I use my mouth

You and Spen should be very happy together.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,372
    Asprilla wrote:
    Jon Snow has the biggest ding-a-ling I've ever seen, but then he's quite a tall bloke.
    I may never be able to watch Channel 4 News again.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    One day while waiting at the lights and I noticed W1 in front of me. I knew it was W1 because he is the only person with a custom cycling jersey that has Ian Duncan Smith's face covering the left side of the back and William Hague on the right.

As I was about to say "hello", Greg all dressed in his Tory blue smurf outfit came powering through and pulled up next to him. He put one foot down and lent over towards W1. W1 acknowledge and then there was some finger pointing downwards towards the handlebars. I heard the words "go on" and "press my ding-a-ling".

W1's hand reached over and started heading towards the direction of Greg's ding-a-ling. An old lady walking across the crossing looked at them and seemed to jump.

I didn't hear the sound of a bell but I assume that's what it was. I mean what else could have been right?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Jesus built my hotrod

That is all
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    My pub bike has a chrome old style ring-ring. The EPO's 1970's folder has a huge thing that the body of the bell spins round a and makes a very loud BRIIING BRIIING! I usually use my lungs.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    "Shift you F**king t*ss*r get out of the f**king way before I rip your head off"

This has a much better ring tone than a bell
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    rjsterry wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    I may never be able to watch Channel 4 News again.

I actually just had a 'moment' with Jon Snow. I was walking back across reception having been out for coffee and he's coming the other way. He notices my 'Shut Up Legs' tshirt, nods and smiles.

Obviously I've now bonded with him in a special way.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Kids got me a new bell for Christmas. After some nagging I finally fixed to my bike this morning. Looks very professional with an integrated compass.

Are you sure about this?
  • Kids got me a new bell for Christmas. After some nagging I finally fixed to my bike this morning. Looks very professional with an integrated compass.

Are you sure about this?

If you get your dictionary and look up the words "professional" and "integrated", I'm almost certain you will see this picture>
    31679139.jpg.

On closer inspection it does seem to be a small badly annotated ball floating in a meniscus of cream soda and fairy liquid though.

Edit. Judging by the amount of foam produced I'm begining to wonder if my ding-a-ling may have contracted rabies.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I do actually have one of the ding-ding type bells (like the one above without the ghey compass) which is invaluable for bridleways (or this lunatic runner I pass whenever I cycle in) to warn them. Works wonders: people don't even look, they just step to left (step not jump, this isn't the timewarp...) pretty smartly.

I got given one of the old-skool ching-ching bells for Christmas... I'm plotting how to shove it up the arse of the git that got it me.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/mks-titanium-racing-bell#more

Pros: Adjustable, Good Fit, High Quality, LightweightCons: Expensive"A bell, at this price? It can't really be justified; it's just one of those extravagances you sometimes talk yourself into. And if that's what you've done, you won't be disappointed with this treat: it's very light, and it's aerodynamic. An aerodynamic bell, made of titanium! Ridiculously unnecessary, and it's great. All you really need to know is that It has an adjustable fit that'll match most (maybe all) bar diameters, and that it's loud enough to be heard.
    The only downside is that it's 'ting' is fairly dead sounding (as fitted on my bars at least), that is over as soon as it starts - there's no 'ring' here. But that doesn't matter. In fact some may find this is a positive, reflecting the pared-down, minimalist nature of the object."
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    You do realise that by vertue of a compass working on magnetic north your bike will essentially be one big magnetic field thus naffing up the compass reading.

when reading a compass you should be about a meter away from metals to get a decent reading.

I have a bell like this....
    225180?$prod$
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • NGale wrote:
    You do realise that by vertue of a compass working on magnetic north your bike will essentially be one big magnetic field thus naffing up the compass reading.

when reading a compass you should be about a meter away from metals to get a decent reading.

I have a bell like this....
    225180?$prod$

Translation: You need a nice, new carbon fibre bike. A really expensive one.
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    I've got a bell but I hardly ever use it since I changed my wheels. I find that the freehub on my halo aerorage clicks loud enough to warn of my presence so I just stop pedalling. 8)
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Twostage wrote:
    I've got a bell but I hardly ever use it since I changed my wheels. I find that the freehub on my halo aerorage clicks loud enough to warn of my presence so I just stop pedalling. 8)

Just went out on some new wheels i made up from some Hope Pro Evo's and noticed the same thing. Damn loud. Felt very conscious of the enormous clicking noise the bike was making as i free wheeled it down six flights of stairs in my block of flats on it's rear wheel. Can normally make it down to the ground floor without waking up the neighbors.... Still. A few people seemed to ear me coming up behind them when i was coasting so it can't be all that bad.
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    Ouija wrote:
    Twostage wrote:

Just went out on some new wheels i made up from some Hope Pro Evo's and noticed the same thing. Damn loud. Felt very conscious of the enormous clicking noise the bike was making as i free wheeled it down six flights of stairs in my block of flats on it's rear wheel. Can normally make it down to the ground floor without waking up the neighbors.... Still. A few people seemed to ear me coming up behind them when i was coasting so it can't be all that bad.
    I didn't like it at first as my previous hub was silent but I quite like it now as it replaces the bell.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    yea my mirage hubs are noisy. i like it. its okay for sneaky SCR action too coz I dont ever stop peddaling - not for no man.
  • i want 'heeherrr' horn like i had on my raleigh boxer when i was little (like bill bailey plays metallica on) - not that anyone takes any notice of 'warning devices'... I normally just unweight the back and and grab a handfull of brake, my favourite tyres also make a fabby starsky and hutch-esque screeeeech when skidded... People jump...