Pedalling - technique

danlightbulb
danlightbulb Posts: 701
edited January 2012 in MTB beginners
Hi all,

For my first off road ride last Sunday i took off the pedal strap things (don't know what they are officially called). Seemed to be ok like this.

However I went out on the road with it last night and it was completely different. I found the uphill bits harder and found myself pedalling very jerky. Would the pedal straps have helped alot here, should I have reattached them for the road?

Is it important to maintain speed uphill or do you drop a gear or two and maintain pedal rpm at a lower speed?

I am a bit worried about not being able to get my foot out of them if I have to stop. I do find that im on tip toe when stopped and still sitting on the saddle, and last night this stretch on the tip toe started to give me cramp in my calf. Do you dismount the saddle when stopped?

Thanks
Dan

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Toe clips. Useless off road - lose them.
    Maintain rpm (it's called cadence BTW) That's what all those gears are for, unless you have mighty legs and can mash up hills.
    Pedalling will get easier. Make sure your saddle is the right height (your leg should be straight with your heel on the pedal), pedal with the ball of your foot.
    Maybe get some decent flat pedals as well.
    Something like this
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=5199
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    Do you dismount the saddle when stopped?
    Yes, although I sometimes stay on the bike and prop myself against or touch a tree for balance.

Or now as i have a funky dropper post i could just press my button for chillax mode.
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    Mojo_666 wrote:
    Do you dismount the saddle when stopped?
    Yes, although I sometimes stay on the bike and prop myself against or touch a tree for balance.

Learn to track stand.... The ladies love it :wink:
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    They were actually laughing at your lycra.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Flat pedals aren't the only way to go - plenty people use clipless pedals on MTBs

(Just to confuse beginners - 'clipless' pedals are the ones that use special shoes with 'cleats' on the bottom and DO actually clip into the pedals! The term comes from the fact they get rid of the toe-clips (or straps) that you aleady have)
    Do a quick google image search of 'clipless pedals'

With a little practice you can take your foot out of a clipless pedal any time you need to dab the ground (or whenever you and the bike part company!)

if you spend a lot of time going uphill / on easy tracks clipless pedals will be more efficient. If you start to get technical they can teach you bad habits as you just lift the bike with your feet and not bodyweight distribution which will limit you later on....