Garmin 800 - too big to race with??

clunkychunky
clunkychunky Posts: 178
edited January 2012 in Road beginners
Just wondering what peoples views were regarding racing with a garmin 800 gps on the bike? (racing not sportives)
I know the 500 & 200 are much smaller and probably would suit racing better (especially as if you have an incident they are half/quarter of the price of the 800 to replace). So does anyone actually race with an 800?

Comments

• BruceG
    BruceG Posts: 347
    Yeah the frontal area of the 800 over the 500 or 200 is massive, I imagine it would take at least 100 - 150 more watts to push this through the air, definetly a no no for racing. All that before we worry about the extra weight.!!!!!!
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    BruceG wrote:
    Yeah the frontal area of the 800 over the 500 or 200 is massive, I imagine it would take at least 100 - 150 more watts to push this through the air, definetly a no no for racing. All that before we worry about the extra weight.!!!!!!

Wattage must be an exaggeration surely!
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    If you stem mount, it'll make no difference - normal (non-pro cyclist) human beings like us wouldn't notice the weight differences.

Also, if it's on the stem, less chance of damage than if it were handlebar mounted.

A lot of pros have all sorts of clutter on their bars for power meters etc.

Personally, I think if you're overly worried about breaking things, you shouldn't be racing.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    It'll look daft, but other than that no reason why you couldn't use an Edge 800. I've seen several folk racing with an Edge 705 (even one guy that had some weird plastic pipe contraption to mount it in front of the bars).

You could possibly even mount it in front of the stem on one of these: http://www.dotbike.com/p/8041

I use one for my Edge 500 and it puts it in a much better place for a quick glance compared to the stem (and it looks much better mounted there). Dunno if it'd work with an Edge 800 though.
    More problems but still living....
  • BruceG
    BruceG Posts: 347
    What no flame for the sarcasm, a breakdown in forum group think and protecting the plain daft, do i detect a break out of common sense, wonders will never cease!
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Garmin-Cervelo (the clue is in the name :wink: )

although they did use the 500 -> but i have no idea how this compares to the 800 size and weight?!

1314090349203-1wxuikjlxsp21-500-90-500-70.jpg
    http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/pro-bike-tom-danielsons-garmin-cervlo-cervlo-r5ca-31425/

apparently they used the weight to help keep the bike UCI legal! not a problem most of use have with out bike computers!
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    It will be fine.

I'd be willing to bet my salary on Cadel Evans not being able to tell of his bike had an 800 on it or not. The only worry would be smashing it, but other than that 150g on your stem is going to make NO difference.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • Mr Dog
    Mr Dog Posts: 643
    Racing with a computer the size of a brick tied to your bars..... no ..... way to heavy. Sell it to me for a knock down price! :lol:

Can't see it making any difference whatsoever to your racing. Don't let those racing gangsters psych you out!
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?
  • marcusjb wrote:

Personally, I think if you're overly worried about breaking things, you shouldn't be racing.

Yeah but most things you race with are essential for racing. the garmin 800 isnt one of those.
    So i was just wondering what peoples views are on using the device during a race.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    It's possible that some people cant' afford an 800 for training and then another 500 for racing....? If they want to track their ride data then they might have no choice...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    I usually take my 705 off for races but that is to reduce the chance of breaking it in a crash. The 800 may be large but it's also very light so I suspect it would stay on in most crashes.

If you're racing to train then I'd leave it on for the data, if you know the circuit well and know you're fit enough then unless you're really data obsessed I'd leave it off, all it's going to tell you is that when you were in the pack you were riding at a sustainable HR then on hills and at the end you weren't...