Smartphone for strava - Huawei Blaze or HTC desire

alan_a
alan_a Posts: 1,586
edited January 2012 in Commuting chat
I recently lost both my Blackberry and Garmin edge 705.

I have a long battle ahead of me to get travel insurance to pay out. They're being dicks saying that because they disappeared during sport I am not covered. In the mean time I need a cheap smartphone and replacement bike computer.

Before everyone says get an iPhone, I have an amazing Friends and Family discount deal with Tmobile. Sadly it is not applicable to Apple contracts. I get an upgrade in 6 months so I only want to spend <£150. So far the Huawei Blaze is cheapest decent option, but how does its battery life run with Strava? Likewise HTC Desire looks appealing.

Your thoughts please.

Comments

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I have the Desire HD as a work mobile and I FLOGGING HATE IT. But that's because it's not my old iPhone :-D
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I've got a Desire and am happy with it.

There is an annoying issue where the internal memory is very small, not a problem because they give you an SD card, and you can put your own in...... But the internal memory is needed for apps to go on, and for caches, so the internal memory gets full and you end up constantly clearing caches. When you get the 'memory full' warning (less than 15mb left) the phone stops receiving emails to save space. I was in the position of having 15.5mb space when I'd cleared as much as I could. A bit of web surfing and the cache would nudge the memory below 15mb and I'd get the warning again. :roll:

I managed to sort mine with an 'apps2SD' app, and by wiping the phone and starting from scratch, but for a while it was very annoying. The later models (Desire HD and S) apparently don't have the same issue, and maybe mine was a fluke, like I said it's fine now.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."