Internal Gear Hub - Need a plastic cover?

Bike-Rich
Bike-Rich Posts: 275
edited January 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

I have a bike with an internal hub (gears), when I first had it there was a plastic 'guard' which went around the chain and and cog. It has since broke off, do you know if it is best to use these when having internal gears or can I run naked?

Do anyone know the proper name of this part?

Many thanks,

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    naked.
  • Bike-Rich
    Thanks,

So these chain guards are not just for hubbed gears then, normal cog gears too?

I'm thinking the benefit of them would stuff muck going into the gear chamber? But it should be ok to run without?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    They are to stop your trousers going in the chain! Can't run them with Derailleur as the chain moves side to side, but they have no place on an MTB.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Bike-Rich
    Ahh I see, that's a relief then. I thought it was needed for something mechanical.
    I've never had a problem of getting my trousers stuck in chain so will not replace this part.

Also guys, my rear wheel is connected by some sockets. Most of my previous bikes have been quick release. I like quick release in the event I get a puncture and I like to take the wheel off and put a new inner in. Do you guys who have a socket connector carry a socket set around with you?
  • bikaholic
    bikaholic Posts: 350
    I don't carry a spanner or any sockets as part of my ERK.

If the IGH has a solid bolt axle then you may be limited in your options for a conventional quick release.

I'd go for some wing nuts like this:

55014_P

As regards fixing punctures, it's best done with the rear wheel still attached because the gear cable will be semi permanently connected to the IGH and the cable may be too short to allow adequate positioning of the wheel away from the frame dropouts.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I'd only use a wing nut with virtical dropouts. Otherwise you need a tool to get them tight enough.
  • Bike-Rich
    Thanks guys, so you think the sockets are standard rather then being an add-on later? (I got this bike secondhand).

It it possible to get the rear inner off though (and new one on) with wheel still attached?