Getting started advice?

Blue407
Blue407 Posts: 33
edited January 2012 in Road beginners
Hi All

I currently have a GT Timberline mountain bike, its over 20 years old and has served me well for the odd occasions I go out on it. (Was bought when I was a teenager to get from home to local town for college, 3 miles each way)

This does not have any suspension and the 21 speed gearing is not great for on-road use as its not high enough for me. (I'm 6' 2" and 17 1/2 stonne if thats relevant, although the weight should be dropping over the coming months :wink: )

I am now on the hunt for a new bike, problem is that I don't know where to start or what type to look at.

I am lucky to live near a canal which offers wonderful opportunites for a relaxing ride, this is one of the main places I am likely to use it. The canal paths are a mix of mud/grass and light gravel. I am also considering riding to work a few days per week in the summer, thats about 8 miles each way on a and b roads.

Any suggestions as to what types of bike to consider?

Thanks in advance for help/suggestions/ideas :)

Comments

• noodleman
    noodleman Posts: 852
    Have a look at hybrids. Boardman do a nice one.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Hi,

Yep, sounds like a hybrid is the kind of bike which will suit your needs. Its a jack of all trades master of none but will tick all the boxes for what you have described.

Cheers

David
  • Blue407
    Do hybrids come with off-road tyres or road tyres?

I put road tyres on my bike a few years ago but they are useless if I get off road as they are too hard and have 0% grip.

What makes a bike a hybrid?
  • noodleman
    Should come with a more road focused tire, but will cope with canal paths easily.
    If you buy from a shop I'm sure they would give you a different option of tires if you prefer.
    Rose pro sl disc
  • Blue407
    Thanks for all the advice given so far :)

Whats the advantage/disadvantage of having fixed frame at the back vs suspension?
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    The terms hybrid covers everything that does not clearly fall under a (often racing-related) genre. So it's hard to define what you're going to get, as it could be anything from a flat bar road bike with skinny wheels and tyres to a fat-tyred utility bike with racks and suspension fork.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • noodleman
    Don't bother with suspension if you're mainly road riding. It's useful for full on off road riding but on the road is pretty pointless, as it adds weight and sapps your energy unless you have a lockout feature. Even then, you will be spending money on features you don't need. What sort of budget are you thinking of?
    Rose pro sl disc
  • kim10
    kim10 Posts: 186
    Hi – you could also consider a cyclo-cross type bike. Some of them have quite relaxed geometry and some will take full mudguards/and or a rack. They also have clearance for off road style tires.
  • Blue407
    noodleman wrote:
    Don't bother with suspension if you're mainly road riding. It's useful for full on off road riding but on the road is pretty pointless, as it adds weight and sapps your energy unless you have a lockout feature. Even then, you will be spending money on features you don't need. What sort of budget are you thinking of?

I'm thinking £500' ish for the bike alone (No accessories), I appreciate I have missed most of the sales now :(
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    If you've set your heart on front suspension I think you'd get better value from this:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_810739_langId_-1_categoryId_165499

Change the tyres for something narrower and less knobbly and I'd say that's a better bike than the Cube.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}