Garmin connect and GPX files . . . .

Greg T
Greg T Posts: 3,266
edited January 2012 in Commuting chat
In short

Arrrrgh

So then, having got that out of my system, I am a techno biff . . . What i'm trying to do is:

1.Find a ride uploaded by other people on Gramin connect - I can do this
2. Edit it - I can do this
3. Save it - I can do this

4. Save it to my Garmin - i can do this - however it saves as a "course" as a tcx file which does not give you directions - just a line to follow on the map. I want a GPX file. When I look at my previous rides I can see I can export these as GPXs but i can't see anyway to to save a course like a gpx.

I've uploaded a tcx to bike route toaster then downloaded to same file as a gpx but haven't seen if the directions work yet. . .

Am I biffing this or can you not save a gox file from garmin connect from courses?
Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?

Comments

• sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Try mapmyride.com and search for a ride you can then export to Garmin.

"You must be logged in to be able to export the route out as a Google Earth File (KML), GPX, or a Garmin Course File (CRS)."
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Garmin Connect has an export to GPX option.
    Or import the tcx/crs to one of the many online routers and then export as GPX.

I've never really used the GPX stuff. For some reason I prefer following the tcx line.
    exercise.png
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    There is a free tool called WinGDB3 that can convert between GPX and TCX and do lots of other useful things. It is worth having.
    http://www.sackman.info/

If you are going to edit files then I would do that on a PC as Garmin makes great devices and exceeds in poor software.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Greg T wrote:
    In short

Arrrrgh

So then, having got that out of my system, I am a techno biff . . . What i'm trying to do is:

1.Find a ride uploaded by other people on Gramin connect - I can do this
    2. Edit it - I can do this
    3. Save it - I can do this

4. Save it to my Garmin - i can do this - however it saves as a "course" as a tcx file which does not give you directions - just a line to follow on the map. I want a GPX file. When I look at my previous rides I can see I can export these as GPXs but i can't see anyway to to save a course like a gpx.

I've uploaded a tcx to bike route toaster then downloaded to same file as a gpx but haven't seen if the directions work yet. . .

Am I biffing this or can you not save a gox file from garmin connect from courses?

There's something weird going on with Garmin these days. I used to create in bikeroutetoaster then "send to device" as either .tcx or .gpx This does not work with the 800. The work around I've found is to save the file to the desktop as .tcx or gpx and import it to Garmin Training centre, then send to device. That works and gives me directions with .tcx but still causes issues with .gpx.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    hmmmm

So I'm not too far off the mark having to convert the TCXs to GPX external to garmin connect . . . .

Thought it was just me . . . .
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Don't forget, you may have to turn Course Navigation on once you've loaded the course to your Garmin. If its turned off you won't get turn-by-turn guidance. I think there's a global setting which you can then override per course.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Greg T wrote:
    hmmmm

So I'm not too far off the mark having to convert the TCXs to GPX external to garmin connect . . . .

Thought it was just me . . . .

What amazes me is that Garmin don't offer their own decent route planning service, seems nuts that we have to rely on the kindness of sites like bikeroutetoaster to get the most out of our devices. Also hate the way that Garmin connect uses Bing rather than Google maps.