Best dinning experience?

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,064
edited January 2012 in Commuting chat
What your best dinning experience?

I've eaten some good quality food in tons of countries but NOTHING has ever come close to the "all you can eat" Brazilian rodizio that is ...

Churrascaria Plataforma @ 316 W. 49th St., New York, NY 10019.

You'll be pleased to note i ate at least 2 whole animals :D
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    oooo they have then in London too http://rodiziopreto.co.uk/

I wonder if they're any good ....?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    I've been. Nom.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Superb - just what I wanted to hear. :twisted:
  • I've been told that this place http://www.mcdonalds.co.uk/ukhome.html is very popular. Can't say I've tried them myself
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    While ago I was on here I was asking around for a turbo dining experience to treat the GF.

Took the advice you guys gave and when to Hibiscus. Never been a place quite like that before. Been to Michelin starred places before, but they were just restaurants with nice food rather than a kind of gastronomic experience.

Was quite something. I've even food I've preferred in taste, but I'll never forget any of the 9 (and the in between) courses.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    I got http://www.benaresrestaurant.com voucher for birthday from friends, looking forward to going there and hitting the tasting menu. I've been before and it is fantastic.

http://www.dishoom.com is also excellent, went there a between Xmas and new year.

Tonight I'm going to Hix at the Albermarle http://www.thealbemarlerestaurant.com/. Nom Nom Nom.....
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    itboffin wrote:
    You'll be pleased to note i ate at least 2 whole animals :D

I was at Handlebars in Silverton, Colorado last year. On the menu was half a fried chicken for 12 dollars. The whole chicken was $15. Well what would you have done........ :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    edited January 2012
    itboffin wrote:
    oooo they have then in London too http://rodiziopreto.co.uk/

I wonder if they're any good ....?

Yes they are.. don't fill up on salad and sit near a cute girl (they get more attention from the waiters with the skewers funnily enough

Noma was my best dining experience...amazing. Seeing as it's the best restaurant in the world you'd hope so
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Clever Pun
    While ago I was on here I was asking around for a turbo dining experience to treat the GF.

Took the advice you guys gave and when to Hibiscus. Never been a place quite like that before. Been to Michelin starred places before, but they were just restaurants with nice food rather than a kind of gastronomic experience.

Was quite something. I've even food I've preferred in taste, but I'll never forget any of the 9 (and the in between) courses.

glad you liked it, did you have the asparagus tart for dessert? really liked that myself
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • rick_chasey
    Clever Pun wrote:

glad you liked it, did you have the asparagus tart for dessert? really liked that myself

I did, with the little olive chuncklets?
  • rick_chasey
    eaten* not even btw.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun wrote:

No olive assortment for me, that would have been an interesting addition to the flavour though.
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • rick_chasey
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

No olive assortment for me, that would have been an interesting addition to the flavour though.

It was a little weak to really notice.

It was carted around as part of the tasting menu where they'd let you guess what was in it.

The best bit for me was - since I'm not a big wine fan, I figured I could save myself a load of cash by not going for the wine. I mentioned this with a bit of apprehension, since, y'know, I was youngest there by about 10 years, and they make a lot of their money on it. The wine waiter bloke couldn't have made me feel more OK about the choice.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155

+1 for Le Gavroche - it really is an experience and the service is the best I've ever seen, (meeting Michel Roux jnr twice helped as well).

Dinner by Heston is also well worth a visit. Went in Oct and my sister has sorted a reservation for me as a wedding gift, so going again in a few weeks.

On the other end of the scale - Spicy Basil in Kilburn serves the best Thai food in London by miles and is as cheap as chips. Also Cyprus Mangal in Pimlico for the best kebabs in london.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Noma was my best dining experience...amazing. Seeing as it's the best restaurant in the world you'd hope so

Read an article about this place recently. Did you do the whole live shrimp/ants thing, and if so, how was it?
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Dinning
    present participle of din (Verb)Verb:
    1.(of a fact) Be instilled in (someone) by constant repetition.
    2.Make a loud, unpleasant, and prolonged noise.

In which case it was probably Mr Munt my mathematics teacher at Bilton Grange (as a wee nipper in short trousers) doing star jumps across the front of the class whilst shouting "Times the figures and add the noughts". His mass was sufficient to shoot jets of dust up from between the floorboards. :D

If it's food (with an American theme) then it was a meal in the French Quarter of n'orlins for the soft shell crab and the jazz, or on top of Sandia Mountain for the steak and view as the sun sets.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Le Gavroche - London. http://www.le-gavroche.co.uk/

I'm a big fan too.

Best dining experience though was Ai Gechi on Stromboli in the Aeolian Islands. We asked for the menu and the chef cam out to say we've got this pasta, this pasta, this pasta and this pasta, we've got this meat, this meat, this meat and this meat and we've got this sauce, this sauce, this sauce and this sauce. What would you like?

Best Italian meal I've ever had and the view is phenomenal.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    I would say it was when my inner tube exploded whilst I was pumping the tyre in the hallway.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    kelsen wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

Read an article about this place recently. Did you do the whole live shrimp/ants thing, and if so, how was it?

Two of my mates booked 9 months in advance, got confirmation over the phone, rocked up in Copenhagen and were told their was no record of their booking and they couldn't possibly have had it confirmed.

Gutted.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,116
    Tricky one this.

For experience (not just food) I've always been a fan of the Galvin restaurant at the top of the Hilton on Park Lane, although the tasting menu at The Square was excellent as well. Possibly the best though was a place called 'La Figuera' in Sao Paolo - the whole restaurant are is under an enormous ancient fit tree, really spectacular; plus enough top notch cooked animal to keep any self respecting carnivore in seventh heaven.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Probably the Xmas pressie Mrs EKE got from a friend last Xmas which was a night at Rushton Hall. The dinner was lovely. I don't like onions but everything else was so good that when a dish of oysters with an onion sauce came I even gave that a go. It was nice (I think) but I can't really remember the taste very well as when I necked it, it went down the wrong way and I nearly choked to death (small exageration).

All good stuff and really nice staff. I would definitely go there again.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    No contest for me: Gordon Ramsay on Royal Hospital Road. Absolutely faultless.....
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    ...enough top notch cooked animal to keep any self respecting carnivore in seventh heaven.

I've got a saying: Its not a meal unless something died.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    +1 for Le Gavroche - it really is an experience and the service is the best I've ever seen, (meeting Michel Roux jnr twice helped as well).

Dinner by Heston is also well worth a visit. Went in Oct and my sister has sorted a reservation for me as a wedding gift, so going again in a few weeks.
    Le Gavroche is on my todo list, but the service, food & value at Dinner by Heston were a bit of a disappointment the one time we went, especially compared to the Fat Duck. Maybe because it's a large space and a hotel restaurant, but I reckon that other one-star places like La Trompette are better all round.

For meat, Argentina had the best restaurants I ever ate (and ate and ate) in. Best street-food was Vietnam.
  • Clever Pun
    kelsen wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

live Finnish shrimps in a kilner jar on ice, they were a little against being eaten but once you dipped them in the lovely caramelised butter they accepted their tasty fate.
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Clever Pun
    Asprilla wrote:
    kelsen wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

Two of my mates booked 9 months in advance, got confirmation over the phone, rocked up in Copenhagen and were told their was no record of their booking and they couldn't possibly have had it confirmed.

Gutted.

You can't book that far in advance, it's 2 months I think, but damn that must have been so gutting
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,116
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    ...enough top notch cooked animal to keep any self respecting carnivore in seventh heaven.

I've got a saying: Its not a meal unless something died.
    You'd enjoy Brazil then.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Noma would be an excellent joint christmas present with ladyflash - must keep an eye on booking that.

She took me to the Fat Duck for my birthday as a surprise. Was nervous when i realised where we were going. Just rocked up in ususal skate shoes, jeans and casual shirt, but staff as nice as could be and the food was pretty amazing. We were first in so were first to see each dish so was all a surprise, which i liked. But to be honest, it's difficult to compare to a normal 'nice restaurant' as it's just so different. One, because it's a taster menu, but also, it's designed as an 'experience' i assume as you can remember visuals better than just taste. Shame we couldn't have the paired drinks, but it's already hella expensive.

As for a tasty 'normal' restaurant, i really like the Harwood Arms in Fulham. A michelin starred pub. Feels like a pub, not to pricey, but great dinner.
    Steel Blue Fixed - Orange Backpack Cover

How do i get a link to a photo in here?!

Fixeh
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    As for a tasty 'normal' restaurant, i really like the Harwood Arms in Fulham. A michelin starred pub. Feels like a pub, not to pricey, but great dinner.

run by the same people as the Bull and Last in Hampstead - really great grub.