Hybrid mudguards

step
step Posts: 20
edited January 2012 in Commuting general
Can anyone recommend any decent mud guards for a hybrid. I'm guessing its different from the ones you would use on a mountain bike or would they do the trick? Thanks for any help and advise.

Comments

• tiny_pens
    tiny_pens Posts: 293
    SKS chromoplastic mudguards. Read the small print about the sizes to fit over your tyres.

You're welcome. :-)
  • OSOH
    OSOH Posts: 153
    Recently put mudguards on my hybrid with 700c wheels, they're branded Raleigh but were only £15 from GO Outdoors, fitted perfectly and very effective. From pics I've seen they look fairly similar to the Chromoplastics in terms of fitting. Can get clip-on plastic ones for about £10 that are less hassle to fit, but they don't seem as effective, don't fit as closely.
    It may seem there's light at the end of the tunnel, but it's actually an oncoming train.
  • essjaydee
    essjaydee Posts: 917
    tiny_pens wrote:
    SKS chromoplastic mudguards. Read the small print about the sizes to fit over your tyres.

You're welcome. :-)

+1 Great answer :D

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=12827184
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40038&t=12808389
  • KR MAN
    KR MAN Posts: 5
    Does the manufacturer make mudguards for the bike you've got?

If not I'd go with he SKS.
    Commuter getting to grips with a Giant Rapid 1
  • step
    step Posts: 20
    Iv'e got a cube cls ltd pro and i dont believe they do. I have also seen good things written about Crud RoadRacer MK2 Mudguard as well as the SKS Chromoplastic. Unsure on the main differences between the two and also the sizing. Thanks for peoples replies.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,515
    I use Cycraguards F & R on my hybrid - which also fit on my MTB's so they seem to be universal fitment. They do a good job as well. They're not the roadie type mudguards that hug the wheels but I think they look better.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Joffff
    Joffff Posts: 26
    Rather than repeat myself, this is what I wrote on my Wiggle review for the SKS Commuter mudguards:
    As a lot of other reviews have commented, the fitting for the mudguards is pretty awful. There's just too many variations of bike for a universal product like this without increasing the price by another £10-15 and including a wider assortment of nuts, bolts, washers, etc.
    If you're the kind of person that has a box of odd nuts and bolts in your garage/shed/man-cave, then it's likely you'll get on fine with these. If like me you rarely get your hands dirty, I would advise getting a local bike shop or a handy mate to do the work for you.
    Once fitted, the mudguards work very well and are good performers. The product itself is quality, but the fitting knocks this down a couple of stars.
    Fitted to a Specialized Crosstrail 29er.

Great product, but also buy yourself a bag of M4/M6 bolts and washers from eBay.