Noise from the front wheel when steering left??

38Super
38Super Posts: 27
edited January 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All

My new Kona Big Kahuna 29er turned up today. It seems to be just what I wanted apart from a noise from the front wheel.

Riding round the car park I noticed an odd 'tinging' noise (like something catching a spoke) from the front wheel when steering left. It was OK once the wheel was turned but the act of turning the handlebars caused the noise. Applying the front brake stops the noise (brake related?).

First bike with discs and I hate them already :evil:

If I coast along standing on the left pedal and leaning the bike over to the right the noise is constant and worse - until I apply the brake.

Fork is a Rokshox Tora Solo Air and brakes are Shimano 575 - 2010 model but brand new.

I'm going to contact the shop with a view to sending it back but am I likely to be told "No sir, that is quite normal with disc brakes." ?

I tightened up the QR but it made no difference. The only thing I can think it could be is play in the front hub (couldn't feel any) or flex in the fork? Are there any known problems that I'm missing?

The forks seem very soft to me. Could a lack of air in the fork allow it to flex?

On a related note should the lock on top of the fork leg lock the forks solid? It didn't appear to make that much difference.

Any help much appreciated. I did try a search but I'm not really sure what I'm looking for.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    It will be the fork flexing allowing the pads to touch the rotor.

Just use the bike and the pads will bed in and the noise will fade.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • gezebo
    gezebo Posts: 364
    nicklouse wrote:
    It will be the fork flexing allowing the pads to touch the rotor.

Just use the bike and the pads will bed in and the noise will fade.

+1 don't worry about it.

And forks- may need pressure adjusting for your weight.
  • 38Super
    38Super Posts: 27
    Thanks for the info.

I'll call the shop anyway but looks like I'll give it a while to see if it settles in.
    Looks like I'm going shopping for a high pressure pump tomorrow (and maybe some crud-catchers - I got soaked last weekend).

Thanks for your help.
  • Iv got a new Trek EX 8 2012.

When I went on my 1st bike ride, I noticed a clicking noise from front when turning corners and when pedaling up hills and you stand up and push bike from side to side.

The noise came from the split pin that sits on top of the Shimano SLX M666 hydraulic disc brakes caliper. The pin had'nt been bent back far enough and was then touching the spokes.

Maybe worth a try!