Cant remove BB

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited January 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Struggling here.. tis a howitzer external bb, just can't shift the fecker!

Any tips?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    More force and turn the right way.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • deffo got the right way... i'm almost standing on the tool!
  • nicklouse
    Then stand on it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • ha... I did, but the suspension compresses so it doesn't work :evil:

Not enough leverage, will have to take lbs next week :(

Put back together for now as I need it Sunday and won't have time to do anything now :(
  • Deffo right way? As in one side it a left hand thread?
  • yup, got the manual out and everythin!
  • Ha......bummer mate, obviously had the knackers tightened off it from new :-(
  • gezebo
    gezebo Posts: 364
    Extending the lever will help. I had to use a 2ft breaker bar once and it was still tough.
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    I had this trouble, I laid my frame flat on the floor so one person can hold it (or put it upside down) then used a long hollow metal bar that just slid over the tool to get more leverage
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • gezebo wrote:
    Extending the lever will help. I had to use a 2ft breaker bar once and it was still tough.

Yeah will see if I can get anything suitable before giving up... my hands are killing me :lol:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sometimes a bit of a whack with a hammer loosens things up.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • lol... tried that too!

Guaranteed I'll take it in the LBS and they'll get it off within a few seconds...
  • cooldad
    Yeah if the hammer doesn't work I'm stumped. Except maybe a bigger hammer.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    The problem with the hammer is the tool. I have seen many a BB cup with a nice ring cut out I it where the "user" has just hammered the tool round the cup.
  • Yeah I started to eat slightly into the BB and thats when I gave up... actually thats a lie, my hand started hurting 1st.
  • cooldad
    I use a big socket type one but mine come off easy. I don't have monster gorilla muscles though so they are not too tight.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    cooldad wrote:
    I use a big socket type one but mine come off easy. I don't have monster gorilla muscles though so they are not too tight.
    And the problem with the Howitzer BB is that there is an axel in there that restricts which tools can be used.
  • cooldad
    My favourite tool ever is a chunky 'Thor' hammer with one side of the head copper and the other leather.
    thor-copper-rawhide-hammer-size-3-00071239M.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    nicklouse wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    And the problem with the Howitzer BB is that there is an axel in there that restricts which tools can be used.
    Aaaah
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    You could always hit the axel really hard and it will low the bearing to bits and then you could use the normal BB tool with socket fitting.

New BB cups would be needed though.
  • new crankset being fitted... got a lovely SLX crankset + BB!
  • cooldad
    nicklouse wrote:
    You could always hit the axel really hard and it will low the bearing to bits and then you could use the normal BB tool with socket fitting.

Nothing a hammer can't sort. Except my credit card.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

Hm, is the Mrs immune to the hammer?
  • nicklouse
    new crankset being fitted... got a lovely SLX crankset + BB!
    So Mr Hammer is an option.
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

Hm, is the Mrs immune to the hammer?

She is gone. Won't tell you which ditch though.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    have you tried swearing at it and calling it names,, this usually works for me..

is this the bb that came on the bike from new, hope it's not been crossthreaded when the bike was built..
    this happened to one of my friends, tried 3 shops to remove it and not one shop could remove it...
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    delcol wrote:
    is this the bb that came on the bike from new, hope it's not been crossthreaded when the bike was built.. this happened to one of my friends, tried 3 shops to remove it and not one shop could remove it...

Go on Colin cheer the guy up!!
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Got the crossthreaded one out of the daughters bike using lost of brute force to get it back to just the threaded cup which I then hacksawed into pieces knocking out with a hammer and screwdriver and then got the BB thread recut at the LBS.....easy!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • choldy
    choldy Posts: 28
    Stupid I know but it often helps to tighten the thread first then try to undo again. I had a similar problem I ended up using the tuble off the hoover to get some leverage:O)