Shimano to Sram

Sodfoster
Sodfoster Posts: 412
edited January 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I want to upgrade my drive train and would like to change to a Sram X9-X0 system. I'm currently using a basic Shimano Groupset:

Crank: M542 22/32/42
Cassette: HG50 11/34
Rear Mech: Deore Shadow
Front Mech: Alivio
Shifter: Alivio 27

My plan is to upgrade to:

Crank FSA Comet
Cassette: PG 1070
Rear Mech: X9 (although I'm loving the coloured X0)
Front Mech: X9
Shifters: X9 or X0

I have been offered a deal on an x9 shifters and R Mech (and was going to buy the Front sep) can I still use the Shimamo Crankest and cassette in the mean time? Obviously I will be changing the cables. If not I may hang fire and buy all together.

Sorry this has probably been asked a million times before but is it better to go with an SLX set up or a Sram X9 - X0 set up? The FSA comet is my crank of choice (although if I did go Shimano I would probably go SLX crank.
Dawes Tamark DX (RIP)

Cube Acid 2010 (RIP)

Saracen Zen 3 (RIP)

Giant Anthem X5

CdF

The whole white bike thing was just coincedence........

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Going to 10spd or?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    My old bike had X7's and they were terrible, I swapped them out for X9 which was better but my shifters have now failed after 3 months, I would never use sram gearing ever again tbh as far as shifting goes I am firmly on the Shimano side of the fence.
  • Sodfoster
    nicklouse wrote:
    Going to 10spd or?

I was thinking of going to 10 but it depends on compatibility and whether I buy new or not. The shifters I have been offered are 9 speed but if I buy new I'll probably go the whole hog and go with a 2 x10
    Dawes Tamark DX (RIP)

Cube Acid 2010 (RIP)

Saracen Zen 3 (RIP)

Giant Anthem X5

CdF

• nicklouse
    Read the FAQ on 9/10 and what is and what s not compatible. And then come back.

If 9 spd I would be streaming it. 10spd never used so will not comment.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Sodfoster
    nicklouse wrote:
    Read the FAQ on 9/10 and what is and what s not compatible. And then come back.
    That generally makes this forum pointless.

I ask the question on comparability to get some views from fellow riders who may have done something similar or be much more knowledgable on the subject. If its a case of go and find out yourself why bother having a forum?

Question: can I use a Shimano crank with a SRAM mech? Simple
    Dawes Tamark DX (RIP)

Cube Acid 2010 (RIP)

Saracen Zen 3 (RIP)

Giant Anthem X5

CdF

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    As the crank has nothing to do with the mech, should be simple to answer.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    Yes.

Simples but you did not ask that.

Cranks is actually the hard part as it is very difficult to get straight answers. But as a general rule 9/10 cranks will work.

Some may not work optimally but us mortals old not notice. It is all in the details as most of he parts you listed could be 9 or 10spd
  • nicklouse
    cooldad wrote:
    It depends on who you talk to TBH.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    OK from personal experience, have never had a problem with front mech compatibility and any crankset I've ever used, from awesome Biopace to HT11, with a couple of dicey Truvativ in between.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    i used to run a lx crank with my sram x7 set up..

all my bike have sram, x7 is ok but x9 is a lot crisper i upraded 2 of my bikes from x7 to x9 been on the bike 3 years plus and had no problems with it.
    my other bike is x0 this is way better than x9 the quality is good so crisp...

now father christmass bought me a xtr set up so when winter has been and gone i will be swapping the x9 set up for the xtr set up..
    i not used shimano gears for 5 years...
    had x7 9 sp set up
    got now x9 9sp set up
    xo 9 sp set up
    x9 10 sp set up.
  • Sodfoster
    cooldad wrote:

I thought this maybe the case, I just thought that there was an issue with Shimano/SRAM compatability. Does a Sarm rear mech work with a shimano chain and vise versa etc..

Obviously mechs and shifters need to be of the same brand (or am I talking crap?)
    Dawes Tamark DX (RIP)

Cube Acid 2010 (RIP)

Saracen Zen 3 (RIP)

Giant Anthem X5

CdF

• Chris5.5
    Chris5.5 Posts: 154
    If you are upgrading but keeping 9 speed. Then you can just change the shifters and rear mech now to SRAM. SRAM trigger shifters will only work with a SRAM rear mech as it has a different pull ratio to Shimano. Your current front mech will work fine with Sram front shifter. I run Sram with a shimano front mech and shimano crankset.

Any 9 speed chain will work fine as will any Shimano or Sram cassette.

Can't really help with 10 speed.

Hope it helps

Chris
  • Sodfoster
    Cheers Chris exactly what I wanted to know thanks
    Dawes Tamark DX (RIP)

Cube Acid 2010 (RIP)

Saracen Zen 3 (RIP)

Giant Anthem X5

CdF

• CharlieH
    CharlieH Posts: 410
    Chris5.5 wrote:
    If you are upgrading but keeping 9 speed. Then you can just change the shifters and rear mech now to SRAM. SRAM trigger shifters will only work with a SRAM rear mech as it has a different pull ratio to Shimano. Your current front mech will work fine with Sram front shifter. I run Sram with a shimano front mech and shimano crankset.

Any 9 speed chain will work fine as will any Shimano or Sram cassette.

Can't really help with 10 speed.

Hope it helps

Chris

Yep, my stumpy came with SRAM shifters, X9 rear mech + shimano front mech and crank as standard