shimano or avids

TownyDC
TownyDC Posts: 157
edited January 2012 in MTB general
Currently running shimano M445's on my giant anthem x4 but have been kindly givena set of elixir 5's, haven't had any problems with the shimano's so not sure if swapping is the right thing to do, any advice anyone will I notice any difference?

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Try them and see?
  • TownyDC
    TownyDC Posts: 157
    Would make sense........ :shock:
  • I own a set of XT's and a set of Juicy 7's tbh both are excellent, but Shimano might edge it because they are so easy to bleed.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If it aint broke, don't fix it.

Avid's are more fiddly to bleed and do have the nasty DOT5.1 fluid, but you really shouldn't need to bleed them often, if at all, Avid or Shimano.

Down side of Avids?... Juicys. Suck horribly. Squidgy, inconsistent and just a pain. Used to keep trying to bleed them but that wasn't the problem. The brakes just suck. That was Juicy 3 though.

Got X0s now (fancy Elixir basically) and so much better. Still will find a different feel compared to Shimano. Avid stuff doesn't tend to be such a harsh bite I find.
  • Zziplex
    Zziplex Posts: 190
    I've found Shimano XTs, Formula RXs to be much better than Avid Elixir which just felt spongy despite numerous bleedings at home and the shop.
    Guinness for strength