Recommended long-sleeve base for <£30 ?

El Selb
El Selb Posts: 137
edited January 2012 in Road beginners
So I've just got my jacket sorted, can anyone recommend a good long-sleeve base layer for £30 or less? Something that'll keep me warm and wick (?) my sweat away nicely. Ta :)

Comments

• The Prendas one
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Under Armour Cold Gear mock neck on Amazon - absolutely swear by the UA stuff for the winter
  • PostieJohn
    PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
    Don't know how much it was, but my lusso one, is a quality piece of kit.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    dhb merino from wiggle - were about £22 in the sale a couple of weeks ago - assume still that price.
  • Decathlon do their own kipstra brand which is fairly similar to under armour but is about half the price - about £16-18. I agree with comments above and under armour is great but the kipstra stuff isn't bad at all
  • furrag
    furrag Posts: 481
    apreading wrote:
    dhb merino from wiggle - were about £22 in the sale a couple of weeks ago - assume still that price.
    Yup. I have the long sleeve winter one, and the thinner short sleeve summer one. Both are the best base layers I've worn, and both okay casual wear too.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,707
    Endura BaaBaa merino.

Sheep are way ahead of synthetics :wink:
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Check Wiggle, they have some goouff in the sale. i bought a couple of Craft baselayers dirt cheap & they are great. otherwise, just get a Helly Hansen from Blacks. they should be reduced now as they are in administration!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    helly isnt bad, but not overly warm. 26 I think. Problem is that it just has to be in the same room as some moisture and ir reeeeeks of stale piss (no joke)

the endura is incredible, always smells fresh in spite of being scrunched up by my towel all day, 2 rides a day, then hung up overnight. Also stays nice and toasty with a winter windproof over the top.

Double the 2 base layers + winter jacket and you would be fine in siberia
    Only gripe is that mine (Endura) is quite bobbled (but bought it used) so it can be itchy
  • Simon E wrote:
    Endura BaaBaa merino.

This.

I’ve never tried a merino base layer before (shame) and thought I’d take the plunge. Managed to get a BaaBaa for £30 in the sales – amazing! Wool works!
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    I have searching for the 'impossible' for long time.
    Most baselayers either cook you or freeze you or itch you to death ... however I wafted away the guts of £40 on a Pearl Izumi P.R.O. Transfer longsleeve , not expecting it to actually work!
    This morning was foggy and cold... using the baselayer , plus jersey and gilet, I rode never cold or sweaty... returned after 60 miles with the baselayer . dry! (This was actually the second road test.. as last Sunday had to ride home the last 20 miles in miserable drizzle with the same dry ending.)

You dont need to take my word for it, but I have just bought a 2nd one and now going to chuck the naff ones that just clutter up my wardrobe drawers.
    OK, it dont cost sub 30 but when you need something that works.....
  • The Rapha Merino wool base is bloody expensive but it works. I've never been able to justify Rapha stuff but got a tax rebate so decided to treat myself.
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    Simon E wrote:

+1

I have a set of Merino wool PX base layers of various thickness's. Merino wool seems one of the most advanced materials for keeping you warm even when wet, and we can thank the evolution of sheep for that!

I am sold on Merino wool for winter. I also have an ultra fine wool base for summer, which is much better than any man made fibre I've tried.
    Simon
  • jgsi
    Simon E wrote:

+1

I have a set of Merino wool PX base layers of various thickness's. Merino wool seems one of the most advanced materials for keeping you warm even when wet, and we can thank the evolution of sheep for that!

I am sold on Merino wool for winter. I also have an ultra fine wool base for summer, which is much better than any man made fibre I've tried.

fair enough, but obviously you havent tried them all have you?
    What you want is the ability of that baselayer to actually dry out against the skin.
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    JGSI wrote:
    fair enough, but obviously you havent tried them all have you?
    It is obviously true I haven't tried every base layer, but over the past 25 years for various 'active' activities, I have tried a few (from premium to cheap). But to date, I haven't found anything as good as merino wool, even the relatively cheap PX ones.
    JGSI wrote:
    What you want is the ability of that baselayer to actually dry out against the skin.

Which is exactly what merino wool does for me. I sweat a a reasonable amount (usually loose 1-1.25 litres / hr in the gym); probably half that on the road/MTB, but my wool bases come off half the weight of my various other baselayers I've tried. The other advantage is that they also don't smell (as opposed to almost walking themselves off your back)

But if you have compared merino wool to another baselayers that have proved to be better, please share your experiences as I am always open to try new products.
    Simon
  • The Prendas one
    +1 for Prendas. Don't know what I would do in this weather without it.
  • jgsi

But if you have compared merino wool to another baselayers that have proved to be better, please share your experiences as I am always open to try new products.
    I have to say the experience with a baa baa .. it disintegrated after a dozen or so washes... it also itched like bugger... and became totally shapeless.. the heavier weight one... cheaper brand.(also shapeless like a fat Kerry Katona. but still knocking on door of 30 quid, does NOT dry out on the skin and itches to bugger as well, alternative given?

I have done, read back
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I have gone merino mad lately and have found:

The on-ones are pretty good quality but vary in terms of their 'itchy-ness'. I have a 190g short sleeve which I wear all the time (on & off the bike) because it is a great shape and really comfy and soft. I have a similar long sleeve zip which is a little less soft but still not what I would call itchy. I sent another one back because it WAS itchy. I didnt like the thin (130g I think) short sleeve because it didnt feel great quality, doesnt look so durable and is not as soft.

I have LOADS of icebreaker now because they are sooo soft and luxurious and not a hint of itchiness and look good for casual wear too. The mondo half zip is great, as are several of the others. Bought when blacks were doing buy one get one half price + 30% off - double discount made them a real good price.

I have just also got some dhb long sleeve from wiggle and they are great - the half zip is thinner than the icebreaker mondo which is great when you dont want something as warm but the feel is really nice and soft. Look like quality items but havent yet put them through the wash cycles.

Have just received a GroundEffect Baked Alaska and that looks fantastic - merino on the inside for warmth when wet, good wicking, softness and no stink, with a synthetic outer to dry it out quickly - supposed to be the ultimate. Plus it has windstopper front, so this is not just a base but an outer for in-between weather. Really think I am going to like this.
  • Ands
    Ands Posts: 1,437
    Blacks had some 100% merino ones last week for £20 - half price. My other half bought one and says it's good, but not as soft as his Icebreaker ones. The Icebreaker were also in the sale - pretty sure they were down to £30 (but they didn't have any left in his size)
  • Depends a bit on what sort of riding you are doing. Below about 7 to 8 degrees I use my windproofed front Altura jacket with a long sleeved thermal baselayer from Mountain Warehouse. This is toasty and comfotable for the steady 1.5 to 2.5 hour rides I do in winter. The base layers are quite often on offer at 2 for 15 quid. I'm pleased with them and and that price they are a bargin.
    Hills do make I sweat a lot
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Merino, simple as that, but it does vary in terms of wool quality and therefore itchyness.

+1 for the endura Baa Baa. they're comfortable, warm and you should find them in your budget.

Icebreakers are also great, but the price is somewhat higher.

Have a look for Orca merino base layers, They're probably the softest, most comfortable that I've found...... but..... they're also expensive.
    That said, it's only the thicker ones that are stupidly expensive.

Personally, I'd go for the BaaBaa.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • wakou
    wakou Posts: 165
    These are cheap and do the job, unfortunately they only have XL and XXL left

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150681029021? ... 1436.l2649
    "I had righteous got my wheel backmost from a fettlin' at the LBS and was hunt transport to equitation it. As it was Refrigerated in the AM......"
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Been said already, but I'd endorse Under Armour Cold Gear Mock base layers. There are so many comments about merino ranging from 'ultimate' to 'itchy and shapeless' that I am yet to be convinced by them. The UA stuff just does what it says on the tin. It is exceptionally well made, looks like new after 2 years of wearing and washing and keeps you warm and wicks like hell! Paired with a normal jersey on top keeps me toasty down to about 5 degrees, below that I put a shortsleeve Adidas base layer on first, then the UA base layer followed by a long sleeve top. Went out in the Lakes today where it barely got above zero and only needed a wind proof outer shell when we stopped or for descending the Kirkstone Pass.

UA base layers are widely available as they are not cycling specific, which also means they tend to be better value for money. I bought one for £26 off the web just before Christmas. They are nice and long in the body and sleeves, are snug fit, but NOT in any way uncomfortable. Best I have found in many years of outdoor pursuits.

PP
  • I know of a great place to get them

http://www.theprintsofwales.co.uk/index.php/shop.html

good range of designated cycling baselayers and other sports baselayers. All do the same great job :D
    bianchi via nirone 7 reparto corse 2008 alu/carbon 105

http://app.strava.com/athletes/1248390
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,707
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    There are so many comments about merino ranging from 'ultimate' to 'itchy and shapeless' that I am yet to be convinced by them.

You could say the same of people's opinions on tyres, pedals, bar tape, coffee... this is an internet forum, after all.

If you try a good one and you can make your own mind up. The Baabaa kept me warm and comfortable taking photos at the National Trophy cyclo-cross on Sunday, and again this morning riding to work at -6ºC.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    fbeechinor wrote:
    Decathlon do their own kipstra brand which is fairly similar to under armour but is about half the price - about £16-18. I agree with comments above and under armour is great but the kipstra stuff isn't bad at all

Yep I bought a couple from Decathlon over the Christmas period in their sales for £10 each, used them a number of times and really quite pleased with them.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Simon E wrote:
    You could say the same of people's opinions on tyres, pedals, bar tape, coffee... this is an internet forum
    yeah, point taken. But, I have never heard a negative comment about Under Armour gear in general, or their Coldgear base layers in particular. That speaks volumes. They pay many professional sportsmen to wear their gear, such as footballers he in the UK and I don't think any of those overpaid individuals would accept some shoddy bit of kit, even if they have a sponsorship deal. The stuff really does work and lasts and lasts wash after wash. The only thing to show the age on my older top is the logo on the upper back, which is a transfer and has started to crack, that's after two winters of use and abuse.

So for me I want an item that primarily does its job well, fits comfortably, washes easily and retains its shape, size and qualities after each wash. I would rather spend more to get such an item than use the false economy of buying a cheap product that fails on any of those factors. With base layers, I think less than £30 for an item that ticks all those boxes is a bargain.

It is a similar argument for stuff like Assos. If you want something that does what it says on the tin, that lasts forever, then £110 for a pair of bib shorts is not too steep. I have one pair that I use more regularly than my cheaper pairs, but they still look like new, whereas the cheaper ones show signs of age after one summer....and they cost £70!

PP