Online poker winnings problem

brucey72
brucey72 Posts: 1,086
edited January 2012 in The bottom bracket
I am off to Las Vegas for my 40th next month so in order to get a bit of gambling practice I opened an online poker account back in December. Not being a massive gambler I only put £10 into my account paying on my Mastercard. Over xmas, by some complete fluke, I managed to finish in 3rd place in a tournament winning $200 which was shown as credited to my online account the next day.

As I was never going to gamble this sort of money I thought I would cash in my winnings and spend the money on something cycling related and this is where my problems began. 888.com confirmed that the payment had been made to my card by BACS but my credit card account was not credited. Having spoken to Mastercard I have been told that it is Mastercard policy not to accept payments from gambling websites (its their policy supposedly) and that the payment would have been returned. 888 say the payment was not returned.

So I am now in a situation where someone has my money but I don't know who and neither party are willing to help sort it out, both blaming the other for the problem.

Obviously in the big scheme of things, I only paid in £10 and was lucky to win so I haven't really lost anything but that's not the point is it? I won fair and square and I want my money!!! Has anyone else heard of this Mastercard rule about not allowing credits from gambling sites?? What would be your next step for trying to get your money back?

I could obviously post this on a website like moneysavingexpert but what do these financial people know? Cyclists are in a much better position to advise me ;-)

Comments

• verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    One thing that strikes me is that if this is Mastercards general policy then surely a site/company as big as 888 would already know this?
  • brucey72
    ^^
    You would have thought so wouldn't you!!!
  • neiltb
    neiltb Posts: 332
    if they don't take money back, why do they let you pay them in the first place.

keep at them, eventually the call cantre rep won't be a total numptie.
    FCN 12
  • wakou
    wakou Posts: 165
    I am astonished at this! You might want (have) to open an account with MoneyBookers or WebDollar, both well known and highly regarded and used by all poker sites and have your $$ paid in there and then withdraw to your bank a/c.
    I can if you wish repost yours to a poker forum (GNF) where the moderator owns a poker site (poker.co.uk) and he would I am sure be able to advise you
    "I had righteous got my wheel backmost from a fettlin' at the LBS and was hunt transport to equitation it. As it was Refrigerated in the AM......"
  • brucey72
    Thanks Wakou, communications are still ongoing having just been advised by a manager at my card provider that there are in fact NO restrictions on winnings being credited to my mastercard!!! So what they told me earlier was just complete b0ll0cks leading to me sending an email to 888 that will have just confused matters further!

I have emailed 888 again as I have been told to request a trace on the funds from them. This will (supposedly) provide me with evidence of where the money has been sent and if I have no success then I will get back to you and take you up on your offer if that's ok?

Its all very frustrating as I was looking forward to purchasing some new bling for my bike.
  • wakou
    wakou Posts: 165
    NP, keep us posted.
    ps coming 3rd in your 1st? tourney is impressive stuff! I have been playing for four years and my $200 cashes are rare indeed!
    "I had righteous got my wheel backmost from a fettlin' at the LBS and was hunt transport to equitation it. As it was Refrigerated in the AM......"
  • brucey72
    Cheers, it was actually my second paid tournament having played quite a few of the 'free to enter' ones following the opening of my account. I have played quite a few since and have got nowhere so it really was beginners luck. I will certainly keep you updated.
  • brucey72
    I am happy to say that the matter is now resolved and it was the fault of my credit card company. My winnings were sent from 888 by BACS but my card company had not credited it to my account!!! After a lot of phone calls I eventually got a direct number for someone who knew what they were doing and after providing him with the sort code and account number of 888 as well as the reference under which my winning were sent he ran a trace which discovered the error. I have no idea how this happened but its a little bit worrying that it did.

Anyway, I now have £128 to spend on a waterproof jacket but thats a different thread altogether.