What is your maintenance routine?

PhildB
PhildB Posts: 73
edited January 2012 in Road beginners

Do you check certain things before every ride? Clean certain things after every ride?

Do you perform regular maintenance every X months?

What products do you use?

Comments

• pedrojake
    pedrojake Posts: 229
    Arrive home.
    Gentle hose bike
    Spray Muc off 1 all over, leave for a couple of minutes
    Bucket of hot water, rinse with a sponge all over.
    Spray components with Muc off 2 degreaser.
    Clean chain with cloth.
    Apply a little light lube
    Gentle spray with hose, wipe clean. Stick it in the shed.

Usually 4-5 minutes all in.
  • PedroJake wrote:
    Arrive home.
    Gentle hose bike
    Clean chain with cloth.
    Apply a little light lube
    Gentle spray with hose, wipe clean. Stick it in the shed.

Usually 4-5 minutes all in.

Handy if you only ride once or twice a month
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    PhildB wrote:

Do you check certain things before every ride? Clean certain things after every ride?

Dont have one, commute/train on my winter bike 5 days a week generally, longer on a Sunday, never have any problems with it. Chuck it in utility room when I get home.

Occasionally give the chain a spray with finish line wet lube when it sounds a bit squeaky.

Why the fuk are you posting this question again? Were you not happy with the answers last time?
  • PhildB
    PhildB Posts: 73
    SheffSimon wrote:
    PhildB wrote:

Why the fuk are you posting this question again?

I posted this yesterday, but 24 hours later it did not appear on the forum. I thought it must have been me, that i didnt press Submit or something, - so I posted it again. Then lo and behold, but threads appear (?).

No need to swear at me simon you little pr1ck.
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    :lol:

Quick wipe of chain, chainrings, sprockets & relube after every ride if possible

Also check tyres, dig out any sharps after every ride. takes 1 minute.
  • essjaydee
    essjaydee Posts: 917
    PedroJake wrote:
    Arrive home.
    Gentle hose bike
    Clean chain.
    Gentle spray with hose, wipe clean.

This on my road bike after a weekend run, but I put a drop of light oil onto the cables where they go into the outers as well. I check the tires and remove any flints too. Use a light spray oil (GT85) on chain and mechs. Just waiting for delivery of a chain cleaning tool, then will use this too :)

On my commuter, I try and do the above once a week, and I lube the chain (GT85) every day, sparingly though unless it's been wet :wink:
  • Is gt85 suitable as a chain lube? im using Finish line wet and the chains black after a ride :cry:
  • i use wet lube as well, and i h8 handling the chain after its all black and sticks to everything, but i did,'t think u should use GT85 or WD40 as chain lube?
  • Kolraz
    Kolraz Posts: 47
    Dry lube might be a bit better at avoiding your chain becoming black after every ride, it doesn't tend to pick up as much grime.
  • Mostly a wipe with a baby wipe, brush off any crud, re lube and hang it up.

Occasionally take the chain off, soak it in white spirits, dry it and lube it.

Its for riding, not detailing.
  • ptr_
    ptr_ Posts: 126
    I don't do anything after a ride. I check tyre pressures before I go and that's it.

I'll wipe down the bike with baby wipes if it's looking grimy and I probably check over the compenents once a month - and that would only include wiping excess grit and oil of the chain and regreasing it and cleaning rims of accumulated brake dust/grit.

My chains last about 2000 miles and I very rarely have mechanicals.

I think people are too concerned with the bike as a machine in relation to actually riding the bloody thing, road bikes are not as fragile as you think and a common sense approach to maintenance is all you need.
  • ptr_ wrote:
    I think people are too concerned with the bike as a machine in relation to actually riding the bloody thing, road bikes are not as fragile as you think and a common sense approach to maintenance is all you need.

You mean you don't take the bike apart, clean, dry and re-grease after every single ride? And you don't replace the chain and all cables every month? :shock:

Na, I'm with you on that one - but then I tend not to take the bike out in overly wet conditions, so the muck I get on my bike isn't too bad. I clean obvious muck off as and when it needs it, plus check the tyres before a ride.
  • Muffintop
    Muffintop Posts: 296
    PhildB wrote:

Does trying not to clatter mud onto the carpet when you're dragging it in count? Get's a service 1x a year perhaps, but the only people I know who clean their bikes have constant trouble with them. My mate completely rusted her back cog cleaning it (?????)
    FCN: Brompton: 12, Tourer: 7, Racer: 4

http://www.60milestonod.blogspot.com
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Get back from ride
    If bike wet then spray drive train with GT85 (to stop it rusting)
    Stick bike in garage
    Every 3 or 4 rides stick some more oil on chain (every ride if it's wet)
    Every few weeks clean bike (hose/muc off/degreaser)
  • essjaydee
    essjaydee Posts: 917
    Is gt85 suitable as a chain lube? im using Finish line wet and the chains black after a ride :cry:

It contains PTFE and is advertised as a water displacer and wet lubricant :|

Works for my commuter ok, and I'm doing between 50 and 125 miles a week and no problems with it so far :)
  • I only have one bike (boo-hoo crual wife and kids insist on wasting our money on non-bike rubbish!) and so try to be careful -

Winter - if it’s at all wet - after each ride -

Rinse the bike off with garden hose (low pressure) just a gentle spray
    Try to leave to dry (if possible) for a few hours and/or wipe off most water with a rag
    Spray GT85 or similar on Chain (while pedalling backwards), brake pivot point, wheel hubs, outside surface of BB, rear and front derailleur pivots - in my mind I am dispelling water but maybe I am just wasting GT 85?
    Muc-off wet lube dripped on individual Chain links (while pedalling backwards), brake pivot point, wheel hubs, outside surface of BB, rear and front derailleur pivots

Every 100 miles -

Clean chain with cleaning machine (well worth getting a cleaner machine IMHO mine was £17 from Halfords (I confess) and works a treat) and degreaser, rinse with clean water, let it dry a bit or wipe off excess, spray with GT 85 and then Muc-off wet lube dripped on individual Chain links (while pedalling backwards)

A couple of times a year -

Check all bolts etc are tight
    Inject grease into Speedplay zeros (or if they feel they start to spin too freely) and grease threads.

Any time it looks dirty -

Same as after a wet ride but wash down with Turtle wax car shampoo first

In the summer I do my Winter routine but maybe every 100 miles or so instead (unless it’s very wet/dirty).

I expect this may be over the top but I need to maximise component life due to budget.

Appreciate any advice especially re using GT 85 this way is it a waste of time and money?