I am an idiot.

krishan
krishan Posts: 14
edited January 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
:shock: :shock: OK, firstly please just don't ask, i'm an idiot, i'm and idiot and i'm a massive idiot

IMAG0149.jpg

IMAG0150.jpg

Apologies for poor picture quality =(

Can someone tell me/show me preferably with a video, how the hell I get out of this mess, its probably simple but as i've mentioned above, i'm an idiot!!!

So please, how do I refit the Derailleur!!!!!

Comments

• 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    In the first pic, has the mech hanger snapped off, silver bit on the floor inside the frame?
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What mess? Bolt it on the way you took it off. Can't really see much though.

BTW it's rude to shout, and it makes it much easier to answer if you give a clue in the title.
    Like "Rear mech fitting help req." or something.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • krishan
    my bad my bad, manners aren't top of my agenda based on the panic im in >< apologies, no the mech hanger hasnt snapped off, im just a total noob and have no idea how to put it back the way it was originally :/ and the chain is tangled too, also when i have previously fitted it back the way i thought it should go, the rear wheel doesnt fit, which is how i got in this mess in the first place.

Urm would it be possible to skype someone loool, it would be much easier, because then i can explain the situation much better and then they can help me step by step?

Forgot the magic word, please ^^
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    1. get the chain untangled
    2. mech fits on the outside of the frame via bolt and points down
    3. push the mech back when your trying to put the wheel in.
    4. sit the cassette onto the chain and push it down into the frame, line up brake disc.
    5. tighten skewer
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • krishan
    thankyou, but its easier said than done at least in my case, still no takers on da skypee?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Haven't fiddled with a mech like that since the 70's but I'm assuming its held on with the axle nut?

Fit the wheel first but with the chain around the cassette and the axle nut loose and then slide the mech hanger over the axle and tighten up the nut.

You will have to untangle the chain first obviously.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • krishan
    just gotta say the mod who edited the title...smh....
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    You said it not them.
  • krishan
    Its ok when i say it :D

Cooldad, i just clicked onto what u said, if i only had that advice from the start, now im in a real pickle of a jam, because i cant manouvre the mech/chain back to their original position ><
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The mech MUST be fitted first, rettach the funny mounting piece to the back of the mech hanger using the bolt you undid (and shouldn't have), slide it up into the dropout then tighten the bolt whilst holding the slot in the hanger inline with the dropout, then slide the wheel into the dropout holding the mech out the way of the gears, make sure it is square in the frame then tighten the 2 nuts, do the DRIVE side first, tight and then making sure the wheel is still square the non drive side.

http://www.disraeligears.co.uk/Site/Shi ... ltered.jpg
    Your mech is missing the bolt (top left) and the wedge piece it uses to clampt the mech in place.

Can get better pics when I'm at home later as the lads 'bus bike' uses that setup.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • krishan
    OK i'll give it another go, btw I live near warwick uni, you live in leamington, come down and fisk it for me lol ><