titanium frame

jaclah
jaclah Posts: 8
edited January 2012 in MTB general
first of all: apologies for my previous post written in french!

some of my MTB friends suggested going for a titanium frame.
I imagine weight reduction is the main advantage.

however there may be some inconveniences associated with a titanium frame, cost is the most obvious one.
are there others?
is it more fragile than aluminium?
can it be repaired if it cracks (as did happen to my aluminium frame) ?

thanks for your advice and happy new year

jacques

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    There's no point, in my opinion, carbon is lighter, cheaper and can be built to 'feel' like titanium.

Admittedly titanium looks nice, but I think there are better things to spend money on.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • bails87 wrote:
    There's no point, in my opinion, carbon is lighter, cheaper and can be built to 'feel' like titanium.

Admittedly titanium looks nice, but I think there are better things to spend money on.

I'd maybe counter that by saying, of all the available frame materials, ti is potentially the only one that can be genuinely described as a bike for life.

I'm still not 100% convinced by the longevity of carbon, especially in an off-road scenario, alloy fatigues and steel rusts. I wrote an article on this subject a while ago, spoke to a very well known bike builder/mechanic and when I asked him if he was allowed one bike made of one material what would it be and his answer was ti for this reason.

If you can afford the outlay, I'd say go for it.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    But on the other hand whom really keeps a bike for life? Changes in technology - suspension and braking mainly will make most frames outdated long before they rust away. I have a 25yr old steel bike -still going but rubbish to ride alongside my main aluminium bike with bouncy bits.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bails87
    cooldad wrote:
    But on the other hand whom really keeps a bike for life? Changes in technology - suspension and braking mainly will make most frames outdated long before they rust away. I have a 25yr old steel bike -still going but rubbish to ride alongside my main aluminium bike with bouncy bits.

Good point, for a road bike I can mainly see the point, seeing as they're essentially antiquated technology anyway :wink: but on MTBs that are still evolving, why commit to something that might be rubbish in 40 years time*.

*also applies to marriage. Much better to just get something modern from the Far East.
    MTB/CX

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I'd maybe counter that by saying, of all the available frame materials, ti is potentially the only one that can be genuinely described as a bike for life.

Well... In principle, maybe but in practice, maybe it's just the current design philosophy focusing too much on lightness but you see an awful lot of broken ti frames, especially considering how uncommon they are.

You could probably build a 953 steel frame that'd have a similiar lifespan... Not so sure about its longterm fatigue life though.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Many ti frames break because have not been manufacturered correctly - is hard to weld, and expensive to form.

As above, carbon fibre is, cheaper, and for this application, a better strength to weight ratio with some offering lifetime warranties. The days of ti and steel frames are coming to an end with the advent of 300 quid carbon frames.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    ^You re not going to let this drop are you sonic.....

Sheesh, get an article in WMB and it's all we ever hear about!! ;)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Zziplex
    Zziplex Posts: 190
    I own a titanium framed mtb (Kona Hei Hei), I also own/owned 5 carbon mtbs (GT & Trek).

Titanium is nice, but it will eventually dent with a rock strike and you'll then want a new frame anyway.
    Carbon is lighter and I reckon better able to deal with impacts (light to medium) that would maybe dent Ti.

If the carbon frame fails, buy another. There are some shit hot deals around if you look and are quick enough with the credit card ;-)

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/deals-of-the-week

Whilst you can't repair a carbon frame, I'm not sure I'd have much faith in a repaired Ti, Steel or aluminium frame tbh
    Don't get me wrong, I love the Hei Hei and would never sell it, but you can get better value from Carbon in 2012 IMHO.
    Guinness for strength
  • Whilst you can't repair a carbon frame
    This is peculiar as its all im doing at the moment ,admittedly some of these repairs are to fix repairs by so called carbon repair outfits. Admittedly not budget or lowere end frames
    Many ti frames break because have not been manufacturered correctly - is hard to weld, and expensive to form.

As above, carbon fibre is, cheaper, and for this application, a better strength to weight ratio with some offering lifetime warranties. The days of ti and steel frames are coming to an end with the advent of 300 quid carbon frames

Ti isnt difficult to weld but to get nice welds you require skill or to weld the frame twice and theres some really shit material coming out of Ti mills at the moment which is contributing to the its not worth doing approach granted though they fail usually through poor manufacturing.Carbon frames can be manufactured badly too.

300 quid frames could pretty much be the norm and the last nail in the coffin could possibly be the resurgence of technology we were using 15 years ago even the chinese are now seeking ways to reduce labour and skill and next years or maybe MY2014 will see frames twice as tough as they are now with virtually no skill to layup I know there are carbon rims in existence now using it, After thinking long and hard about it I tweeted this morning that this could be the last year of real developments in traditionally manufactured carbon frames as even I can't see a way past or a way to compete economically unless tooling costs come down and it would be possible to switch to automated process here. Maybe it will be hyped to keep profit's maybe not

Steel definitely ain't dead yet if you are prepared to think a little outside the box .

For the record im a fan of Ti but am also becoming a big fan of steel
  • bails87
    Zziplex wrote:
    Whilst you can't repair a carbon frame,
    as above, not true!

bman4.jpg
    bman2.jpg
    bman10.jpg
    bman7.jpg
    MTB/CX

• And that can't be repaired because?
  • bails87
    And that can't be repaired because?
    Eh?

It has been repaired!
    MTB/CX

• My apologies the iPad loaded 2 images of a bit of tube missing and a no image icon
  • Zziplex
    Zziplex Posts: 190
    You could wrap sellotape around a damaged carbon frame and call it a 'repair'.
    No way would I ride a repaired carbon frame, I value my life.
    Guinness for strength
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Bit of string and some araldite, that's all you need.

Though tbh, you know nothing.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind wrote:

? Some know more than they let on ,I'll give you that
  • M_rift04
    M_rift04 Posts: 504
    I heard Ti is a good buy because it stays in the same 'form' and 'shape' for a long time. Whereas Steel, alu and possibly Carbon (Not been out long enough for a long-term test) frames all have a kind of 'expiry date' where the frame looses its rigidity and flex properties that the manufacturer puts time and effort into making.

For example, if a Alu frame built by a company is manufactured to flex 3mm after a few years of use it'll flex 4mm or 5mm. Just an example just you get my jist hopefully.

Ti frames live (Hold form) longer I think that's what last a life time means as well as it never rusts and is strong etc...
  • Northwind wrote:

Wrong...

String a lime!
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Yeah the acid in the lime helps
  • cbee
    cbee Posts: 186
    I currently have three Ti bikes - brilliant frame material IMHO.