Best Commuting Shoe for flats?

ashnbecs
ashnbecs Posts: 17
edited January 2012 in Commuting general
I'm happily commuting on my Brompton and now have all the gear to comfortably commute through the winter apart from shoes. I use clipless pedals on my other bikes but for my 3 miles City commute and 35 minute train ride I'm sticking with flats and am wearing trainers. Problem is when it rains my feet get soaking wet. Does anybody know of, use or recomend a decent water proof(ish) trainer I can buy?

Comments

• You could get something like the Altura Night Vision City Overshoes, has worked well for me and my M&S shoes...
    altura_night_vision_city_overshoes_.jpg
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Look at the lighter grades of trail shoe, they have stiffer soles and proofier uppers compared to trainers. I still use my Hi Tec Silver Shadows for riding all year round.
    I have looked high and low for the ultimate winter platform-pedal shoe, with a trail-shoe like sole, waterproof upper, mid-boot cut with no padding.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    MichaelW wrote:
    Look at the lighter grades of trail shoe, they have stiffer soles and proofier uppers compared to trainers. I still use my Hi Tec Silver Shadows for riding all year round.
    I have looked high and low for the ultimate winter platform-pedal shoe, with a trail-shoe like sole, waterproof upper, mid-boot cut with no padding.
    Nothing by FiveTen?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • leodis75
    leodis75 Posts: 184
    ashnbecs wrote:
    Problem is when it rains my feet get soaking wet. Does anybody know of, use or recomend a decent water proof(ish) trainer I can buy?

hampshire-bags_1554297i.jpg
  • thanks all - bizarrely I never thought of using my overshoes with normal shoes - duh!!
    The stylish Boots, Sainsbury combo is an interesting option although I tend to wear them inside my shoes to keep my feet warm.
    I will also have a look at 5:10 and trail shoes.

Thank you
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,560
    Can't see much point in spending on 5:10's for commuting. They're not cheap, have more grip than you need and they absorb water quite well - I'd stick with trainers and overshoes for the wet weather.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My daughter uses some airwalks with leather uppers for commuting on flats,her feet seem to stay dry/warm enough!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.