Hope Head Doctor Fitting

peter_booker2003
peter_booker2003 Posts: 566
edited January 2012 in MTB general
Bought a hope head doctor, but heard mixed reviews about installing them.

Can someone give me some clear instructions what to do?

Ive got a usual star nut at them moment.

cheers :)

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Keep the starnut is the best instructions. Why remove it to fit sometheng that is worse?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Yep, star nuts are fit and forget.
  • Take hope head doctor in hand, open window, throw hope head doctor out of window, fit star nut.

Its fairly easy tbh..

You could just use the headset cap.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Bought a hope head doctor

Why?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Makes for a nice light top cap/bolt combo, just don't use the stupid insert thing. (nb- don't overtighten! The bolt is very weak. Don't arsk me how I knows, I just knows)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Have used a Head Doctor on three forks I quite like 'em

My only advice would be to take it all to bits before you fit it and make sure the outer collar is compresses easily. Re-assemble it so that the expanding part lets the collar compress easily.

Tap it in gently

A chopstick inserted in the underside of the steerer tube can be used to apply pressure to the lower expanding part if it refuses to tighten.

Don't overtighten it on an aluminium steerer you will distort the steerer.
  • Richie63
    Richie63 Posts: 2,132
    Yeah I quite like them easy to fit and easy to swap about if need be
    I'm going to blow the bank on a new build ( within reason ) NOW DONE!!
    http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss14 ... 010362.jpg
  • barty81
    barty81 Posts: 145
    just upgraded my headset to a hope.popped the head doc in, but it wouldnt engage the bearings when tightening the top cap.pulled it out,wacked a star nut in and hey presto!! everything works great.stick it on ebay or use it as a paper weight.
    Giant xtc
    Canyon nerve am 7
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    In answer to your actual question... First remove the topcap/top bolt on place aside. Next, insert the large Allen key in the top of the wedge, and expand until it only justs goes in the steerer- a little friction stops it falling down inside. Insert the wedge about 10-15mm down in the steerer tube and tighten the bolt so it expands and gets wedged. Then reassemble the top cap/bolt. Tighten down to preload etc.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Cheers for all the help guys, but have sent it back to CRC as it was easier for me :)
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Haven't owned one but don't the Hope ones work any different to the other expander bungs? By this i mean tightening the top cap doesn't expand the bung until it's been screwed all the way up to the top cap screw and is touching the bottom of the top cap. At which point it starts to expand, which is no good as you wanted the bung to stay where it was inside the steerer tube (defeats the purpose). Most of these expander bungs have a hexagonal hole around where the top cap screw screws into it. This is where you put a larger allen key and expand the bung before putting the top cap and screw anywhere near it. Judging by the looks of some images on Google it certainly looks like there is a hex head screw point just around the entrance hole to the screw thread on the bung (bottom left bung, you can clearly see the hex point just outside the screw hole).......

Hope%20Hed%20Doctor.jpg?height=500&width=500
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Yep they do.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    benpinnick wrote:
    Yep they do.

Certainly looked like it from the pics. I suspect a lot of people who don't seem able to get these things to work properly are assuming it works by simply dropping it in and tightening the top cap. When that doesn't work, they take the top cap off and find the bung slightly expanded at the top of the tube and come to the conclusion it's a piece of doodoo and then complain about it. Some of the comments on here and on CRC seem to suggest that user stupidity is at play here. Guess it doesn't help that they don't come with instructions.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Yes that is how you should fit them but why bother? Heavier more expensive...... More o if there is a star nut ready fitted.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • when the shop cut my steerer down for me they automatically fitted a star fangled nut even tho i had a told them - ive bought a Hope Hed Dr - after he fitted it he looked at me and said " ive done you a HUGE favour just use the hope top cap" he then proceeded to show me a draw full of new/used/part used hed Dr's so mine is in a box at home - expensive top cap :(
    live, ride, survive

2012 Nightrod Special Race tuned
    Cotic Bfe
    SYLO
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Northwind wrote:
    Makes for a nice light top cap/bolt combo, just don't use the stupid insert thing. (nb- don't overtighten! The bolt is very weak. Don't arsk me how I knows, I just knows)
    +1, it's pretty easy to snap one of those bolts!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Fit a Starnut!!!!

Hope head doctor came loss over the sunday ride and has been replaced with the fit and forget starnut (Head doctor was in forks when bought!)
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Yeah right - you just thought you were cool ;-)
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Yeah right - you just thought you were cool ;-)

Haha! got loads of hope gear on my bike so I am mega cool anyway....
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2