Was I just prescribed a course of MTFU?

2»

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    There's a crack in the Humeral Great Tumeral apparently.
    Was that in a Dr Seuss Book?
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Humeral Great tubercle, top outside of the shoulder.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • veronese68
    Great name all the same. Hope it heals fast. Presumably humeral because it joins the humerus, which I think is the bone in your upper arm?
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    I headed in a bit earlier so I guess we missed each other. Still managed to scalp a lycra'd up roadie (on the may to A&E with a broken shoulder on a Rigid MTB on snow studs. My FCN must be through the roof).

Anyway I was diagnosed as having a chip in my shoulder. There's a crack in the Humeral Great Tumeral apparently.
    So is that a case of 'it will heal itself in time' ?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Two recent cycling injuries
    1/ Silly off at Cannock fell on end of bars, nasty pain in left upper arm, daughter put a plaster on the scratch, cycled the remoaing 6km back to the car park, had to use my right arm to put my left hand on the bars, hurt quite a bit, checked and bleeding heavily, wound quite deep, first aid from daughter and then at Swinnertons, drive home (lad changing gear as i couldn't lift it at all by then) A&E and put in plaster as I;d almost severed the small muscle behind the bicep when the brake lever went into my arm by over 1/2"
    2/ Lost the front wheel on a wooden bridge, heavy landing on chest, hurt to breath in too much, but OK ish, did the remaining 7 miles of the ride (struggled for Oxygen a bit on the longer faster stretches), hurt to cough, more to sneeze and laughing really hurt, visit the docs about a week later (routine for something else) and it's a broken rib.

MTFU, it's only pain!

Lycra clad roadie you 'scalped' probably thought 'what an idiot going that fast on this slippery road'......

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Initialised
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Great name all the same. Hope it heals fast. Presumably humeral because it joins the humerus, which I think is the bone in your upper arm?
    Yes, part of the Humerus, it's connected to the funny bone coincidentally.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Initialised
    Lycra clad roadie you 'scalped' probably thought 'what an idiot going that fast on this slippery road'......
    It was dryish and straight. Nearly got another one tonight but he put down the power and did the 'I'm not breathless' thing as he went past after the hill I passed him on the way up levelled off.

In the past year I've landed on a dog (sore ribs for a few weeks), face planted on my bar ends (spud fail, stitches) and slipped on a corner in fuel (fractured arm).

Am I doing it wrong?
  • veronese68
    It was dryish and straight. Nearly got another one tonight but he put down the power and did the 'I'm not breathless' thing as he went past after the hill I passed him on the way up levelled off.

In the past year I've landed on a dog (sore ribs for a few weeks), face planted on my bar ends (spud fail, stitches) and slipped on a corner in fuel (fractured arm).

Am I doing it wrong?

Youre fine most of the time, it's only when gravity gets hold of you. Try to remember the phrase "rubber side down". I think you need some better luck this year.
  • Initialised
    For anyone still paying attention to this thread here's the X-Ray

6770574595_1d17095b02_b.jpg

I can clearly see the damage, how could they have missed it in A&E?

I went in again yesterday (is it bad form to show up at fracture clinic in your helmet and riding gear?) but need to go back for physiotherapy. They gave me a sheet with exercises to do (some of them really hurt), and said to keep riding through the pain, I'll be avoiding too much shoulder wrestling on climbs and technical descents for a while. As usual it hurts less in the saddle. Been looking up stuff about shoulder injuries and it seems I got off lightly, only missed a day's commuting.