What's your maintenance routine?

PhildB
PhildB Posts: 73
edited January 2012 in Road beginners
As above?

What do you do on a regular basis? After every ride, 6 / 12 monthly? What products do you use?

Comments

• furrag
    furrag Posts: 481
    - Full strip down and greasing once per year.
    - Fix things as they crop up as and when it makes squeak/creak etc.
    - Clean it when a club mate takes the piss.
  • jonni3
    jonni3 Posts: 57
    My maintenance routine is:
    Once a week chain clean, check tires, brakes, gear indexing & give it a wash.
    Once a month full strip down, clean,inspect, lube, re-assemble, torque what needs doing & polish it so I can go get it all dirty again.

Products used Park Tools citrus chain cleaner, finish Line dry/wet lube depending on weather, Fenwicks spray on grime cleaner.
  • I assume you do the regular weekly maintenance while the bike is fully assembled or do you take the components off?

Also what bits do you grease on an annual/6 monthly basis? I'm new to bike maintenance and would like to know what bits need attention!
  • rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    Very little, winter bike is feeling quite neglected at the moment!
  • Good topic, I have had my bike for three weeks and been out on it most nights, I have oiled chain and bits twice but wondered about cleaning. What are these chain cleaning kits like? worth the money? I'll go and buy some de-crudder for the rest!
  • I only have one bike (boo-hoo crual wife and kids insist on wasting our money on non-bike rubbish!) and so try to be careful -

Winter - if it’s at all wet - after each ride -

Rinse the bike off with garden hose (low pressure) just a gentle spray
    Try to leave to dry (if possible) for a few hours and/or wipe off most water with a rag
    Spray GT85 or similar on Chain (while pedalling backwards), brake pivot point, wheel hubs, outside surface of BB, rear and front derailleur pivots - in my mind I am dispelling water but maybe I am just wasting GT 85?
    Muc-off wet lube dripped on individual Chain links (while pedalling backwards), brake pivot point, wheel hubs, outside surface of BB, rear and front derailleur pivots

Every 100 miles -

Clean chain with cleaning machine (well worth getting a cleaner machine IMHO mine was £17 from Halfords (I confess) and works a treat) and degreaser, rinse with clean water, let it dry a bit or wipe off excess, spray with GT 85 and then Muc-off wet lube dripped on individual Chain links (while pedalling backwards)

A couple of times a year -

Check all bolts etc are tight
    Inject grease into Speedplay zeros (or if they feel they start to spin too freely) and grease threads.

Any time it looks dirty -

Same as after a wet ride but wash down with Turtle wax car shampoo first

In the summer I do my Winter routine but maybe every 100 miles or so instead (unless it’s very wet/dirty).

I expect this may be over the top but I need to maximise component life due to budget.

Appreciate any advice especially re using GT 85 this way is it a waste of time and money?