Shimano SL-M951 STI shifters

tewy06
tewy06 Posts: 10
edited August 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,
I have some Shimano SL-M951 XTR shifters on my bike, unfortunatley one of the cable adjusters has broken and I have been looking for a part number to try and get a replacement but with no succes. The only tech. diagram I have found is for the Shimano SL-M952 but nothing previous to this year/type. If anyone has a solution or part number I would be very grateful.
Thanks, tewy06.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Should be the same. I would think any Shim barrel adjuster would work.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    I know its an old topic but why start another.
    cooldad wrote:
    Should be the same. I would think any Shim barrel adjuster would work.

They won't. These gear barrel adjusters have three parts - the plastic adjuster, the spring, then a threadless aluminium part with a little square notch that fits into the shifter. That aluminium part is the hard-to-find bit and is part of the XTR shifter it seems. :cry:

I need a pair myself, well one anyway... but they are stupendously hard to find, or don't exist. It would be easier to get some guy that makes stuff out of metal to make you a pair lol. Then I think "any" screw thread barrel adjuster should fit but the guy would have to make the screw thread inside the new aluminium part properly.

God knows what Shimano use for their metal in XTR shifters but those parts feel like candy floss in your hand. :lol: Someone in the past seems to have had a crash and snapped a bit off one of mine, all I can do is use the bad on one the front shifter. :roll:

There might be another way:

The shifter itself has a much bigger screw thread, as if a thing that holds the cable housing could be permanently screwed in, I would prefer that since I have a downtube adjuster and rear mech adjuster, you don't need three! I don't know what those parts are even called to look for them. Its something like a "gear cable holder". I mean something that screws/fixes in. There has to be a screw thread on the shifter for some reason, its redundant with the normal barrel adjusters in.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Which part on this schematic? Hardly surprising you can't get all the spares for 15 year old parts...
  • cooldad
    アジャストボルトアダプター(左用)
    I think
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    I assume he means 9, as 8 just looks like a standard barrel adjuster.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    njee20 wrote:
    Which part on this schematic? Hardly surprising you can't get all the spares for 15 year old parts...

I don't think I could have found that if I spoke Japanese. :wink:

Yeah 9 is the aluminium "shifter specific" part.

8 isn't damaged - the plastic part to that might not be generic but the spring and that metal holder part is. I recognize the screw thread off other MTB shifters.

All I need is that single bit #9

Thing is I have the scuffed bit on the left shifter and its not really affecting it.

After spraying Muc-Off inside the shifters and rinsing more dirt out than I thought was in them, then got all my cable housing setup well, new cables, re lubricated shifters, now finally it does change from sprocket 8 to 7 (11t to 12t) on first click. 8)

It still won't go into the highest gear of 50x11 but on a flat bar bike and me being me I don't even need it. :lol:

Before cleaning the shifters I had all sorts of problems I now don't have. Glad I didn't give up on them! It wouldn't change from the 11t to 12t - because the first click only took up the slack from the (bad) cable setup. I also had problems skipping on certain sprockets too if I did setup the cable tighter so it changed from 11t-12t on the first click.

Guys, what should I use to clean the inside of shifters?! Paraffin? Those shifters have quite a lot of plastic parts, which I sneered at when I saw considering they are XTR.

I used that on my chain and its come out literally like a new chain. Does paraffin "melt" off that factory wax though?
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    You don't want to remove the factory grease. Nor do you want to randomly fill your shifters with paraffin. There's not really anything you can do, they're not designed to be rebuilt. If they're full of crap then spraying some GT85 in may help, but if they're dead, they're dead.

There must be a dead horse you can flog somewhere?