Fox Shock Service Advice Please.

Duki
Duki Posts: 53
edited January 2012 in MTB general
I bought my lad a second hand Turner 5 spot (2006) frame that came with a Fox DHX Air 5.0 rear shock. The shock gave up the ghost on the first ride :cry: . My question is do I send it off to MOJO for a service or do see if my LBS is able to do it?

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Send it to Mojo. Even TF wont service a DHX Air (IIRC)
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Duki
    I know, why would that be?
  • benpinnick
    Dunno, maybe theres some kind of genie trapped inside.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Locotuning also do them
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Duki
    Thanks for the info cooldad, which now begs the question MOJO or Locotuning?
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Mojo is fox recommended I'd go with them.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    Duki wrote:
    Thanks for the info cooldad, which now begs the question MOJO or Locotuning?

MOJO is a recommended and authorised service centre, Loco was cheaper for me, so maybe if it is not in warranty go to Loco if they quote less?

Lucky for me I appear to have purchased a house that is almost bang on halfway between them.
  • cooldad
    Loco are a bit cheaper, and seem to do a good job. Or they are on DX Air anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Duki
    The shock is a DHX Air 5.0 and is way out of warranty so Loco Tuning might be a good bet especially as my lad is a poor student and funds are tight so saving a few quid if the result is the same seems like a good idea.

I did email MOJO a few days ago and havent had a reply yet which is a bit poor.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Loco get good feedback on Singletrackworld. Not had a lot to do with MOJO (seeing as they didn't answer emails....)
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Duki
    Loco have been the only ones to reply to emails and shown any form of interest, so I think I'll give them a go. If their workmanship is as good as their customer service I should be okay.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    live next to Mojo,

They've been really good with my shox, often turning them round next day, and responding propmtly to all my mails and service enquiries. So very reliable.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Depends what's wrong with it. If it's just the air sleeve seals gone you can service that yourself. The boost I don't really know much about, but I get the impression they need professional service (nitrogen charge?).
  • I sent my Fox RP3 to Mojo the week after new year. Sent on Wed. checked it had arrived Thurs. They phoned Mon. to say work had been completed and paid by debit card £105.95. The schock was delivered the next morning to my home in Moray, Scotland. I thought they must have replaced it with a new shock, the condition was so good.
    1st class service, and the difference in the shock performance is incredible.

Well done Mojo.
  • Anonymous
    snapper52 wrote:
    £105.95
    ! :shock: :shock: !
  • cooldad
    deadkenny wrote:
    snapper52 wrote:
    £105.95
    ! :shock: :shock: !
    Says the man with the blingy bike. Wait, your time will come.
    thel33ters is booked into Loco at the end of the month, cheaper but still around £90.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    True, but RP3 is what around £150?
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=13702

Hard to tell as it's discontinued it seems, but spending 70% of the value on servicing is just plain nuts!
  • cooldad
    His is a DHX Air, bit more than £150. And unlike our shocks, it takes some hits.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • benpinnick
    It's not that nuts when you consider that all those CRC cheapo shocks are OEM ones off of frames etc... What are they going to do with them? Also, in a service they do actually replace a good %age of the parts in the shock. And it takes a couple of hours.... would be nice if it were cheaper though. If the repair companies and mojo ever wonder why 99% of the shocks they see are knackered not just in for their 100hr service (or whatever it is) then thats why.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Anonymous
    cooldad wrote:
    His is a DHX Air, bit more than £150. And unlike our shocks, it takes some hits.
    Was replying to snapper52's RP3.

Anyway, I'd just think about getting it serviced if it was well and truly dead and then think how many services I should have been paying at £100 a pop according to their advice. Chances are that'll be more than the value of a new shock, so just buy a new shock :D
  • Duki
    £70 + p&p at Loco £121 + p&p at Mojo. It's my lads bike and he's responsible for it's upkeep, although I do help him out a bit, he's a student and skint so I think Loco will be the obvious choice for him. £400+ for a new DHX 5.0 so I think that'll be out of the question. He does need a shock that will take the hits because he can be a bit rough on his bikes!
  • cooldad
    That's what made my mind up too.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools