Training For A 12h Enduro

WisePranker
WisePranker Posts: 823
edited January 2012 in Health, fitness & training
I'm looking at doing the Torq in your sleep 12h Enduro ths year and was wondering what training people would advise for a solo attempt at a 12h race?

Comments

• JasonRwmb
    JasonRwmb Posts: 268
    I have done a few 12 hour races over the past couple of years. My training for them has been a little haphazard, but I must be doing something right as I am slowly getting nearer the front of the field. I am planning to enter Torq12:12 too this year, I finished 6th last year.

I am not sure what your endurance is like now, but if you are just looking to complete the 12 hours then I would try to get as many solid long rides in your legs as you can. Slowly build it up from where you are now. Try to complete long rides without stopping; this can make a big difference. Have a look for shorter endurance races that are happening over the summer, and work your other training rides around these. To give you an idea the ones I am planning to do are: Gorrick Enduro (probably 3-4 laps as I ride Swinley too much anyway), Are You Tough Enough (prob in a pair), Bucks Offroad Sportive (7-8 hours of riding), 8hr Thetford Summer Enduro, and maybe one of Trailbreaks longer (100km) rides. I doubt I will do any other rides over 6 hours, and my longest ride most weeks will be about 3 hours with no stops.

Food and drink plays an important part in 12 hour races, use the time between now and August to find out what works best for you. If you want a reasonable result you will need to eat and drink while you are riding, so get comfortable with that too. I use energy drink, energy bars and gels, while others find normal food works better for them.

The Torq12:12 course is very good with enough fun bits to keep it interesting for a 12 hour solo attempt.

I think there is about 4 hours of night riding, this happens after you have been riding for 8 hours so make sure you are used to night riding.

A race plan can wait for another day, but ideally you want to aim to start steady and keep going at that pace. If you can just keep pedalling (easier said than done after 11hrs) then you will do ok.

Let me know if you would like any other info.
  • Thanks for the pointers.
    I'm planning on doing the Bucks Off-Road Sportive as a bit of training for the 12, not sure which Distance I'll go for but probably the 100km. Other than that I've not really got any races planned for training, something the I may have to look into.

I suppose the best thing to do for now is to just start building up my mileage as much as possible and spend as much time as I can in the saddle!