Advise needed

thetool
thetool Posts: 28
edited January 2012 in Road beginners
Bought myself a JAMIS entry level bike and been cycling for a little under 6 months and love it.obviously I'm still a newbie and have a lot to learn but have run in to a few problems.I ride with a large group on Saturdays over 55 miles at a 20mph average and have been told that I need to go ride with the A's.This I am very reluctant to do as I am still learning the etiquette and don't want to piss people off.

Comments

• on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    Are the A's quicker or slower? Why are you worried about wee-weeing people off?

Really need more information.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Assuming the "A" group is the faster group then i'd suggest that typically they will contain some of the more experienced / commited cyclists. You'll probably learn more - so as long as they understand you are a relative newbie and are willing to guide you as such, then go for it.

Most experienced sportsmen (and women) are happy to help the less experienced (i'm an ex international badminton player) so long as they are keen and willing to listen and learn. Cyclists are predominantly amongst the more social of sports people so i think you should go for it. Your cycling will only improve even quicker if you mix in the experienced group.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    55 miles at 20mph average - pretty fast for a beginner on an entry level bike. You must be very fit even keeping up with a group at that pace.
  • thetool
    Are the A's quicker or slower? Why are you worried about wee-weeing people off?

Really need more information.

The A group is a lot quicker,
  • noodleman
    noodleman Posts: 852
    Just out of interest, what sort of terrain are your rides on? 20 mph average around these parts(Cotswolds) is quite an achievement even for someone who's been riding many years. Not doubting your timing, just must be nice to be able to achieve those times right at the start of your riding.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • thetool
    noodleman wrote:
    Just out of interest, what sort of terrain are your rides on? 20 mph average around these parts(Cotswolds) is quite an achievement even for someone who's been riding many years. Not doubting your timing, just must be nice to be able to achieve those times right at the start of your riding.

I 'm in North Georgia.There is one cat 5 climb and we climb 1339ft in total.I think one of the reasons I am able to achieve this is because I was doing a couple of 85 mile rides a week climbing nearly 6000 ft each time.Also I have a low resting heart rate around 45bpm.
  • noodleman
    noodleman Posts: 852
    Same resting heartrate as me. My rides are 40 miles most days with 100 miles every few weekends. Trouble being that my rides are never flat for more than 5 minutes. Even so. My average is usually around 18 to 20 on hilly routes. If its flat then 20 upwards but that's on my own. Can't see that you would embarrass yourself moving up a level if your finding 20mph over fifty miles achievable.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • thetool
    Going to go out with the A Group this weekend,I am more worried about the etiquette than anything as this will be only my 4 group ride.

Thanks for the advice