Removing transfers from painted ally parts

The Rookie
The Rookie Posts: 27,812
edited January 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Anyone have some good tips on how to remove the transfers (makers name etc) from painted ally parts (specifically a stem) without harming the paint please?

Looking at chaning the stem on my retro and don't really want it to say 'bikehut'!

Simon
Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.

Comments

• 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    For sticker warm them up with a hair dryer should just peel off, if not try to get a bit peeling and apply neat washing up liquid leave for a while then heat up with the dryer.

For transfers you want a mild solvent try nail polish or panel wipe (car shop) but don't rub to hard.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Anyone have some good tips on how to remove the transfers (makers name etc) from painted ally parts (specifically a stem) without harming the paint please?

Looking at chaning the stem on my retro and don't really want it to say 'bikehut'!

Simon
    Tart
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    Thanks mancity, I'll give that a wirl!

Cooldad - your right, but no point having a retro bike unless I keep it looking retro!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    Is it a transfer or is it actually printed on?

If it is printed on try and get hold of some UV wash. We use this at work (printers) and find its quite good as long as your careful with it.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • The Rookie
    May well be printed on, what is 'UV wash'?

Simon
  • andy46
    It's a type of solvent cleaner used in the print industry to quickly clean rollers and print cassettes out, it's also really good at removing adhesive.

Also known as general cleaner here

http://www.fujifilmsericol.co.uk/ff/pi_ ... oducts.pdf
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Marker pen.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • andy46
    nicklouse wrote:
    Marker pen.

Ahh that's assuming the stem is black.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    andy46 wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    Marker pen.

Ahh that's assuming the stem is black.
    Nope. I am sure that there is a full range of marker pens in the Pantone range.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    Stem is matt, all my marker pens come out gloss.......

Simon
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Stem is matt, all my marker pens come out gloss.......

Simon

Get it recoated Simon, what colour is it?
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • The Rookie
    Matt black, not worth doing that, if I can get the transfer/priniting off then I'll use it, otherwise I'll get a more suitable one, as its for the retro it is 25.4mm and longish - the sort that go cheap on ebay!

Simon