Which helmet?

Windinherhair
Windinherhair Posts: 21
edited January 2012 in MTB buying advice
Shocking I know, but I have had my bike helmet (a Specialized Banshee) for about 15 years!
Reckon it's time I replaced it.
I was wondering what type of helmet would suit hybrid cycling? I am mainly on country roads, but also go along rough tracks at the local windfarm or on tow paths.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Linda

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The best helemt is the one that fits best - pick a budget (more money usually means lighter weight, better venting and improved straps), then visit a shop and try as many on as you can.

You don't need a full face helmet, and I wouldn't get the pis$ pot style - so any standard road or MTB helmet will be fine.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so with or without a peak/Visor.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Often detachable, especially during spectacular crashes. Personal preference, they won't keep you dry and at this time of year they won't keep the sun out of you eyes.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    But without one you look like roadie. Might as well shave your legs.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Peak all the way sun and rain defender. I take it pis$ pot ones are sunshine bus foam helemt looking types?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sorry judging from your name you might already do that.
    All helmets sold meet minimum standards so as long as it fits well you'll be fine.
    Personally a cheap Bell fits me perfectly and has saved what's left of my brain on numerous occasions, so after a crunchy crash I just get another online - under £20.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Thanks for the answers folks.
    I've plumped for the Specialized S-Works D4W from Evans.
    They have it in their sale at £69.99 (RRP (129.99), with an additional of 10% off.
    So I picked it up for £62.99, with free delivery :)
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I was about to suggest the S-Works... I had a Bell variant for years and loved it but the S-Works is soo much lighter and more airy that I sometimes have to put my hand up and touch it, just to check that I didnt forget to put it on!

Cracking price there for you - well done!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Shocking I know, but I have had my bike helmet (a Specialized Banshee) for about 15 years!
    Reckon it's time I replaced it.
    Manufacturers like us to replace them every 3 years! They spontaneously combust if we don't ;)

Anyway, fit is the all important bit. Not just will it sit on the head and the straps do up. Make sure you can't roll it off front and back. Having a big whack at the back of the head where it may have rolled forward, I pay more attention to how they fit now.