newbie question on chain damage to frame

mercedism
mercedism Posts: 102
edited January 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Just cleaned my bike, already noticing a few marks from chain damage along the top/inside nearest the wheel section about half way along where the top of the chain sitson the frame. Probably from doing jumps/bunny hops, is this common and should i expect this?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yes, you can get a chainstay protecter or just wrap an old inner tube around it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    If you're talking about where I think then yes it's normal. Most people use some sort of chain stay protector to stop this and reduce chain slap noise.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Most bikes have some sort of sticker on that area for protection from the factory, it can be clear or coloured.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mercedism
    Thanks, there is a manufacturer logo sticker on there, so will keep checking for wear. Then either replace or overwrap.
  • Chunkers1980
    I'd get something on there now as it's not going to get better! Also helps reduce noise, so there's a double reason to just put one on!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Agreed a Lizardskin or innertube does a much better job than the rubbish sticker that's normally standard, and is much quieter.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mercedism
    Thanks, just been reading up, (easier when you know what the technical name for it is) going to get jumbo lizard skin, should do nicely.
  • Chunkers1980
    Just check you need the Jumbo - use some string (not limes) to measure around the fattest part of the stay and buy the one matches those measurements - snug fit is best (and the stretch a little), but it depends how your cable runs to the mech.
  • mercedism
    Good idea, just checked no cables on that part but does taper towards the back quite a bit. Will get some string out and check to be safe.

Update, its 87mm, the jumbo says 85mm so will stick with that unless anybody advises me otherwise before i get it. Probably some time over the weekend.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    mercedism wrote:
    Good idea, just checked no cables on that part but does taper towards the back quite a bit. Will get some string out and check to be safe.

Update, its 87mm, the jumbo says 85mm so will stick with that unless anybody advises me otherwise before i get it. Probably some time over the weekend.

You may find its a bit loose at one end so stick a cable tie round it at each end to keep it in place.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • mercedism
    Thanks, will keep an eye out for some black ones, not the bright white ones i have in the garage.