protection for Loooooooong Journey?

supafly1982
supafly1982 Posts: 631
edited January 2012 in MTB buying advice
I am going to be biking the West Highland Way in May. Its 95 miles over some easy terrain then some very difficult terrain and climbs, some bike hiking to be done, climbing rocks and dodgy paths etc, very physicaly and mentaly demanding apparently. Were doing it in 3 days.
I normally ride with raceface arm and leg hard plastic armour, but not so sure this is the thing to be using on a jouney such as this, i will need to travel light and be very mobile.

What protection would oyu recomend for such a demanding trip, or would you reccomend any?

cheers
scott

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    a few pairs of padded shorts.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Helmet, motocross top (they are great, really airy, tough material) over a base layer and shorts, outer and liner, socks would be good as well as shoes!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I'd want to pad up for some parts of that ride- haven't ridden it as a route but the bits I've done have the potential to bite hard if ridden with a bit of enthusiasm (and would be a bit of a shame if ridden cautiously) . Think I'd go with my kyle straits- I know I can pedal in them all day no bother.

Having said that, most of the route doesn't really warrant it so I'd not wear them the whole time. But devil's staircase etc, I would. Are you using a support service, baggage forwarders or similiar? Where are your stops?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    i would wear knee pads kyle straits or simlar.. i dont notice my tld tbones once i put them on..
  • Northwind wrote:
    I'd want to pad up for some parts of that ride- haven't ridden it as a route but the bits I've done have the potential to bite hard if ridden with a bit of enthusiasm (and would be a bit of a shame if ridden cautiously) . Think I'd go with my kyle straits- I know I can pedal in them all day no bother.

Having said that, most of the route doesn't really warrant it so I'd not wear them the whole time. But devil's staircase etc, I would. Are you using a support service, baggage forwarders or similiar? Where are your stops?

i was thinking about veggies but they got bad reviews then came accross the kyle straits, i like to ride with pads as ive got confidence to ride harder, i would ride alot more catiously without them and as you said it would be a shame, plus theres all the hiking the bike at Loch Lomond, dont want to restrict climbing ability which i think my raceface would.
    nicklouse wrote:
    a few pairs of padded shorts.

any reccomendation Nick? i use the muddyfox (inner) ones, they have doen the job well so far
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    I had some veggies, worse thing I could ever of done with my money. Got some kyle straits now which are fantastic, fit and forget you've got them on.

My mate has some of these on last night http://www.sixsixone.com/Catalog_661Bike.aspx?id=89593191-f4ad-4860-84c3-e7bfca2c8878&product=51cc7173-afff-41a4-9cde-da2eb9309177 and these http://www.sixsixone.com/Catalog_661Bike.aspx?id=db5d78e7-4ffd-4b0a-b129-cb7be569ae05&product=1aa7068d-65d4-4a7e-9d23-2b405cf29cb3 he really rates them for not budging and being almost unoticeable when on.

They do look good as light protection for all day use etc. Act as leggings / arm sleeves too. Think he paid about £50 for the pair, CRC I think.
  • Maybe just bring what you have, but get a large enough backpack to keep the pads stored in? Absolutely no point in having the pads on for climbs or times when you don't need it, and can just pop them on once things get technical.
  • Maybe just bring what you have, but get a large enough backpack to keep the pads stored in? Absolutely no point in having the pads on for climbs or times when you don't need it, and can just pop them on once things get technical.

its trying to keep the bulk weight down though, they are large and take up way too much space.
    DodgeT wrote:
    I had some veggies, worse thing I could ever of done with my money. Got some kyle straits now which are fantastic, fit and forget you've got them on.

My mate has some of these on last night http://www.sixsixone.com/Catalog_661Bike.aspx?id=89593191-f4ad-4860-84c3-e7bfca2c8878&product=51cc7173-afff-41a4-9cde-da2eb9309177 and these http://www.sixsixone.com/Catalog_661Bike.aspx?id=db5d78e7-4ffd-4b0a-b129-cb7be569ae05&product=1aa7068d-65d4-4a7e-9d23-2b405cf29cb3 he really rates them for not budging and being almost unoticeable when on.

They do look good as light protection for all day use etc. Act as leggings / arm sleeves too. Think he paid about £50 for the pair, CRC I think.

excellent, those look like the type of thing that will suit me, cheers :)
  • Northwind
    Not sure what the point of those is, they're pretty enclosed so it's like wearing arm/legwarmers all the time (the arm ones feel sweatier than my POCs as they cover more arm). They fit well under other clothes mind and they'll be more stowable and lighter, so that's a definate plus for this, but they're as much faff as a proper pad and haven't got a fraction of the protection.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind wrote:
    Not sure what the point of those is, they're pretty enclosed so it's like wearing arm/legwarmers all the time (the arm ones feel sweatier than my POCs as they cover more arm). They fit well under other clothes mind and they'll be more stowable and lighter, so that's a definate plus for this, but they're as much faff as a proper pad and haven't got a fraction of the protection.

i see, got to admit i do preffer the whole leg and forearm protection, im qite rough with my self and bike and prone to the odd "off" :lol:
  • DodgeT
    They're never going to be "hardcore", but for something OP has described, i'd of thought they would be pretty ideal.
    The material is very thin, its like the compression tops / bottoms you get. My 661 sub top is made with the same stuff and it is like you've got nothing on its so thin & breathable.
    Bonus too is that there are no straps whatsoever, so no worrying about them getting sweaty / grit in them and starting to rub.
  • Northwind
    See, I tried a subgear longsleeve and I sweated like a pig... SO I guess maybe that's just me being a sweaty mess, more than the fabric :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • DodgeT
    Couldn't possibly comment :P
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Northwind wrote:
    See, I tried a subgear longsleeve and I sweated like a pig... SO I guess maybe that's just me being a sweaty mess, more than the fabric :lol:

Not called boil in the bag for nothing!

Great this weather mind you....
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • DodgeT wrote:
    They're never going to be "hardcore", but for something OP has described, i'd of thought they would be pretty ideal.
    The material is very thin, its like the compression tops / bottoms you get. My 661 sub top is made with the same stuff and it is like you've got nothing on its so thin & breathable.
    Bonus too is that there are no straps whatsoever, so no worrying about them getting sweaty / grit in them and starting to rub.

aye they do seem lie the closest thing im going to get for my needs, not hardcore protection but enough to stop the flesh ripping as much, a little protection, which is all i want really
  • anyone else got the 661 Rythims? they are not even on 661 size chart lol
  • andymc06
    andymc06 Posts: 245
    Hi Supafly

Just received some 661 Rhythm elbows pads. Will be trying them out at Cwmcarn tomorrow. I got them because my Veggies were constantly slipping down over my LS baselayer on rough descents. On first impressions they are very lightweight and comfortable with sufficient padding for most offs I would have thought. They pack down to almost nothing. They are effectively arm warmers as well though so I'm not sure if they will be too hot come the summer.

The sizing seems to match the other 661 pads. I am large on the veggies and the rhythms.

In terms of the legs, if you wanted a little more knee protection, I can highly recommend the Fox Launch Pro knee pads. Very comfortable even for long pedaling sessions.

Hope this helps!
    If at first you don't succeed, spend some more money on kit!

Giant Trance X3 2011
  • HI Andy, good man, will take a look at veggie size chart. let me know how you get on with the rythims

cheers
    scott
  • Dont forget frame protection - pad the Xbar because you are going to be carrying the bike on some of the stages.
  • andymc06
    andymc06 Posts: 245
    Rhythm's were very good. Didn't move at all on the Cwmcarn descents and very comfortable.
    If at first you don't succeed, spend some more money on kit!

Giant Trance X3 2011