11/1/12: London, I did not like my commute today

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited January 2012 in Commuting chat
Set off slightly later than normal today. My son is a hard person to say "bye" to.

The prick

No sooner than I get to the bottom of my road and turn left onto the main road I've got a van (Ford transit, which was behind me on the side road and joined the main road at the same time I did) beeping it's horn for me to move over. This isn't exactly a wide road at the this point and with the long line of traffic heading South along Kingston Road this guy really wanted to squeeze me into the curb.

Anyway, I think "f*ck it" so I move over, no harm no foul. No sooner than he overtakes he then indicates left and turns up the side road effectively cutting me up.

Expletives are spouted in his direction. I carry on with my journey.

Ride the Granny

Traffic traffic everywhere, cars making spare of the moment judgements to turn left and impatient cyclists drafting me in heavy traffic as I'm slowing to approach a side road because I know there's a car trying to turn into it. Or the best cyclist just covering my back wheel so that I can't move right to go around the MASSIVE F*CKING parked van that we all need to go around. Is tapping the brakes and giving room such a hard concept. Seriously if it was punch a fellow cyclist day - I might just participate. But most annoyingly were the mother f*cking black cab drivers - pricks the lot of them. In a bus lane they won't give way, they won't slow down and they don't give room. I hate them. I hate them to Lucifer.

So my commute caused my stress levels to esculate to such a degree I decided to drop from the big ring into the small gear and start cruising and coasting through the journey. No point pounding the pedals in anger while angry in traffic alongside what can only be assumed as angry people. Put a bunch of racists from opposite ethnicities in a room - similar effect.

My soothing conclusion? Ride the Granny.

The cause of my woes

So from South Wimbledon to Elephant and Castle I'm filtering through traffic, traffic to the point that I'm questioning whether there's a train strike or something.

Nope across a lane and a half was a broken down bus being attended to by some guys in workman's hi-viz. Past the bus were open roads of traffic reduced bliss. Now considering that this is the approach to London Bridge which is notoriously busy and was, today, empty. I have no reason to conclude that there were any other factors causing the traffic than one friggen broken down bus.

The icing

So, over London Bridge and around the diversion to Liverpool Street. Seriously what the f*ck how f*cking long do roadworks, pipeworks take. Anyway, I'm hovering behind a HGV with a trailer and the words motorway maintenance on the back. It was packed full of well... er... motorway stuff (well pipes and sh*t, big gigantic pipes). Why this guy was in the centre of London boggles the mind. But that isn't all of it, oh no.

So here I am nearing the end of my commute I'm in the right lane a bus in front of me, HGV/Lorry to my left. He can't get past the bus his vehicle is so large. I'm surrounding by motorbikes and all are in his mirror looking like they want to go around him. Approach the lights what does he do? He stops so close to the bus that there is no gap to filter. Now of course the bus is in another line of traffic. The HGV/Lorry can't go forward as it can't get past the bus. The bus isn't moving as it's stuck in traffic. So we are blocked from making progress - a large benefit of riding a bike in London the ability to filter.

At this point I had had enough, got off my bike and completed the rest of the journey on foot.

As for this, the post, there isn't much point. I don't even care if I'm right or wrong. It's just cathartic.
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    I was left hooked twice this morning in the first 3 miles of my journey. Appears the roads were full of idiots this morning.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    There is a rants thread.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    It was fantastic here :lol:

No dodgy drivers at all, one bloke sitting in a queue of traffic with his wing mirror folded in, and another stationary and on his mobile were the worst offenders.

A pedestrian stepped out in front of me, but no harm done.

There's clearly a c**t conference in London today, please keep them! :lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Set off slightly later than normal today. My son is a hard person to say "bye" to.

The prick....

That's a bit harsh a thing to call your son. Perhaps you need to bond better with him
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • DonDaddyD wrote:

The prick

Im sure he's not that bad. :-)
  • spen666
    Good ride in then?

Twittering @spen_666
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    It wasn't even that much of a rant.

I was left feeling disappointed by this thread and that DDD owes me now. I shall plot his downfall.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    and breathe sunshine.......
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159

I was left feeling disappointed by this thread and that DDD owes me now. I shall plot his downfall.

Bit harsh KB
  • Kieran_Burns

Bit harsh KB

He let me down.

I expected so much better and am left empty, bitter and twisted now
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756

Post a new thread... "11/1/12: London, I did not like DDD's rant today"
  • Kieran_Burns
    notsoblue wrote:

Post a new thread... "11/1/12: London, I did not like DDD's rant today"

:lol:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • DonDaddyD
    spen666 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

The prick....

That's a bit harsh a thing to call your son. Perhaps you need to bond better with him
    Heh, that did make me laugh.

Clearly it is the title of that part of my post.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD

This may help to restore the faith: viewtopic.php?f=40012&t=12830383
    Food Chain number = 4

• spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    ride the granny?

sounds like a saturday night out for me :oops:
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Oh and the prat on Tower Bridge in the blue van, drifting from side to side and stopping me coming through, at first I thought you were deliberately blocking then I thought no probably sending a text. Low and behold what was he doing when I did go passed.

Still I'm not ranting, calm zen like cycling will be had this year... shouty sketchley is a thing of the past*.

*note I reserve the right to change my mind if they do something really stupid that puts me in danger
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Dude, its the Hammersmith Flyover being out too. The weight of traffic on the roads for miles around is causing all the drivers in SW + W London to act like pricks.

Just chill out call it a low HR commute...
  • spen666
    spasypaddy wrote:
    ride the granny?

sounds like a saturday night out for me :oops:

I find myself hitting granny at least twice a week

Twittering @spen_666
  • spen666
    Sketchley wrote:
    .... sketchley is a thing of the past*......

If this a prediction?

Twittering @spen_666
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Neither did I. PT.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Move to Bristol - almost hit a pheasant this morning.......
  • mmuk
    mmuk Posts: 398
    i had a great trip in - took the Ford Transit, cut some bloke on a bike up on my first left turn ....

not really! :D
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    This morning....
    Start off with a nice view of the full moon as soon as I leave the village, road is dry and no recent muck spreading is all good, have a near miss with a pair of squirrels whilst passing the golf course, I mean they must have only crossed the road like 20 seconds in front of me, no give way at junctions one, two, or three and at the fourth and last one the lights are green as I follow the tail end of the traffic queue across, no pedestrians on the cycle path as I cruise through the woods on the well lit and newly surfaced path even the bridge is grippy today as I adroitly bunny hop the 2 speed bumps to avoid losing any of the momentum I had from coming down the hill.

Yes a tough day today, hopefully the 2 squirrels will take more care tomorrow so I can claim a good one.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Lovely sunrise (albeit mostly behind me on e-w route).
    And loads of bikes - not being a maker of NY 'resolutions' I've only just understood the reason for this phenomenomenon. They were mostly (OK some of them - all right a few) behind me too after a short while.
    "Consider the grebe..."