Brake issue

mattblue
mattblue Posts: 88
edited January 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
My boardman went into halfords for a simple service - lube and check up - that was last tuesday.

There was a problem with the rear break and was told that it would not bleed at all.

Was told on sunday that a new caliper was being ordered for the bike, received an answerphone message this morning stating that its now fine and they were able to bleed it.

As a newbie to the sport should I be worried by this or does it sound normal ?

Cheers

Matt
Boardman pro ht 2010

Comments

• 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Check the bike over in the shop and if the brake still feels wrong inform them.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    ask them what they changed?

the Mechanic?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • As far as im aware they didnt replace anything, they were just able to bleed it after previously not being able to...sounds very suss to be honest
    Boardman pro ht 2010
  • I wouldn't trust the people in halfords to have my bike at all, as nicklouse said, they probably just had a slightly more experienced primate have a look at it instead.
    Very funny Scotty, now beam me down my clothes.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sounds like decentish service to me, at least they kept you informed.

On the other hand MTB's need regular fettling, lubing, adjusting etc. Good idea to learn to DIY.
    Lots of info here, Parktools, Youtube etc.

Well worth having a go.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Ive got the bike back but am not going to take it out until it goes to my local cycle store - reason being is the last time the same chap worked on the cycle he started to undo the lock out part of the shocks to pump them up and really didnt have a clue which side to pump the shocks up.

The communication between staff is terrible to be honest, the problem i went there with is still evident ie the rear wheel not running freely, it just seems that the pads need adjusting...i stated this to them on weds last week...

Rant over
    Boardman pro ht 2010
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The pads can't be 'adjusted', the calliper can be centred (very easy DIY) or the system may need a 'bleed' that is actually excess fluid removing.

Boardmans are only MEANT to be touched by the 'Boardman' trained (trained by Halfords to work on BM's that is!) staff, even then some of them I wouldn't allow to work on a trax unattended, however some staff are good (and not BM trained)....my local store is all staffed by genuine bikers (all MTBers) and they know what they are doing, the daughter isn't BM trained but as the staff at her new store realised she was more than capable, she now does most the BM's that go in!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    mattblue wrote:
    Ive got the bike back but am not going to take it out until it goes to my local cycle store - reason being is the last time the same chap worked on the cycle he started to undo the lock out part of the shocks to pump them up and really didnt have a clue which side to pump the shocks up.

The communication between staff is terrible to be honest, the problem i went there with is still evident ie the rear wheel not running freely, it just seems that the pads need adjusting...i stated this to them on weds last week...

Rant over
    But adding air to the forks etc is something you should be doing yourself anyway. Like checking tyre pressure.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools