N+1 what to do

iandennis
iandennis Posts: 238
edited January 2012 in Commuting general
My cycle to work scheme is up in April, last year bought a Specialized Secteur Elite which I have as a summer/best bike. Also have a hardtail MTB and been used an old Raleigh MTB fixed fork as a commuter.

Fitted some big apples Schwalbe tyres to the commuter recently and been impressed with how well they roll. Currently doing 11.5 miles in 43 minutes, which given the weight I hope isn't too bad.

Been thinking of getting another bike and did think about a Boardman CX or a Tricross. BUT the old raleigh is doing so well, not sure I want to buy another commuter bike and not sure I would use it offroad as i have the hardtail. Did think about getting into some CX via CX sportive but not racing. I could probably do that on the hardtail without too many problems.

So what to do, would a tricross/cx make me any faster ? It's all road work so would something like a Ribble winter trainer be a better buy ?

Bike for commuting and general use.

I'm having a problem picking n+1 so any thoughts appreciated :)
Thanks

Ian

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I've got a Boardman CX, as a year round commuter I'd recommend it. It's a little bit slower than the Ribble Carbon Sportive I used through the summer (2-3 minutes over 15 miles) but still quick. Disc brakes are excellent for reliable stopping, and you can put anything from 25mm slicks to 35mm knobbly/ice spike tyres on it.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • If I was in your situation I'd go the cyclocross for the simple reason that if I ever fancied doing a bit of cyclcross I'd have the bike for it (having done a CX on an MTB I would'nt want to do it again!)