Rivington Pike

scottbramwell
scottbramwell Posts: 78
edited January 2012 in MTB rides
Anybody near the Rivington Pike area looking for a riding buddy?
Whyte 801
The destination is not as important as the journey!!

Comments

• DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    I want to get up there again soon, so could be up for a run.
  • hallz
    hallz Posts: 12
    Hi mate

We regularly ride around Rivington and the West Pennine Moors - we go out most Sunday mornings plus other rides as and when we can. We mostly live over the Bromley Cross side of town so our rides vary between Winter hill / Darwen Tower and Holcombe Moor.

Give us a shout if you are based over that way and you are more than welcome to join us!

www.wittonweavers.co.uk
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Wait! I want to do rivi and healey nab as well.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    sometimes frequent rivi. it does get busy up there on a sunday though so if you do go sunday be there early to avoid all those berhaus wearing walkers with their ski poles.

healy nab is ok for a quick blast, it's very short though..
  • i work the weekend nights unfortunately hallz so my best chance is when I have a weekend off, so i'd be mostly riding in the week which could be good as there should be less people around...i hope, i'm hoping to go in the morning tomorrow if all goes well *fingers crossed*
    Whyte 801
  • Well I got out this morning (saturday) and I disappointed myself with my ride, first time riding in 2 - 3 years and was not happy, I didn't hit any decent trails up rivington, got stuck with all the walkers and spent most of the ride on a road and on the main trail up rivington, so I think I need to open my eyes more lol, could not see a good trail anywhere, just a bit rusty I think lol. but glad to be back the specialized, even though my joints are aching now :)
    Whyte 801
  • delcol
    there are some ok trails up there. just got to look.. ie head for that big mast on winter hill theres a few trails up there. ice cream run starts at the pigeon tower and is fun. then there's many other bridle ways.
    best bet is to explore thats all we did.

http://www.ribblevalleyholidays.co.uk/l ... biking.pdf

http://www.westpenninemoors.com/visitin ... orseriding
  • looking at the map for rivington on the ribble valley website and looking at it on google map, can someone tell me where that wilderswood is, or will i notice it when i hit the end of green lane? and also is the trail from wilderswood to pigeon tower just the belmont road past the kennels or am i missing something?
    Whyte 801
  • boothuk
    boothuk Posts: 21
    Where abouts are you commencing? I 'found' a nice few miles of off-road with a decent drop in near Horrock's Wood after descending behind Winter Hill if your interested. It will dump you out near Egerton though so ideal to either loop back towards Smithill's or head upto Darwen.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Try GPSies.com Rivi routes you do have to hunt out the good bits and the weekend is not the best time to do it. Midweek is much more fun if you can get up there.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • DodgeT
    Had a cracking ride up there yesterday. Started off at cafe, rode up to pigeon tower. Round up to the square tower. Then down the rough bits & left across to the dog kennels. Left up the moors to the road. Left up to past the mast. Down belmont / san morino descent. Left at the road, then left at the first village back through the small reservoirs. Then take the bridleway left back across to pigeon tower. Then choose your route down, we did the broken road.

Probably not explained it too well, but its really easy to follow and is a real nice route.

We prob need a BR ride up there :D
  • boothuk
    boothuk Posts: 21
    The thing to do really is buy an OS map covering the West Pennines and look out for bridleways and footpaths that you can incorporate into your route. That way you can cover the distance and general route without staying on road too much.

There is this beast if you can handle a 30 miler...

http://www.westpenninemoors.com/files/u ... 20Loop.pdf

Also, once you get confident with your route, start exploring the rights of way you normally pass by. You never know where that track might lead! (Unless your reading an OS map obviously :) )
  • Yeah not explained too well to a lad who hasn't been up there properly in 3 years lol. but a BR? ride up there sounds good, i'm looking to go first thing saturday, hopefully missing the walkers, if not saturday may be friday, if the missus lets me play lol.
    Whyte 801
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Yeah not explained too well to a lad who hasn't been up there properly in 3 years lol. but a BR? ride up there sounds good, i'm looking to go first thing saturday, hopefully missing the walkers, if not saturday may be friday, if the missus lets me play lol.

Im off work Friday, so could possibly come across.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • DodgeT
    Bugger, friday afternoons are usually good for me, but being picked up about 5 to go keswick ready for whinlatter saturday morning... Wonder if I can sort a customer visit :D
    Going a good pace, need about 2hrs to do the route I "explained" :lol:
  • delcol
    not been round or thorugh wilderswood for a few year. the last time i did there were'nt any trails through it. other than the bridalway..
    the trail through wilderswood hooks up with Georges lane this is were the dog kennels are this then turns into belmont road further up, and goes past the pigeon tower.
  • Im always up for midweek rides round Rivi. I dont get many weekends off so go out midweek. Live on the Bromely Cross side of the hill also. Giz a shout.
  • will do bwfc4eva88. and thanks delcol i thought it was that way but just wasn't too sure. i think i will be up there again on saturday, just hope i can get out the house earlier so i can miss traffic on roads and walkers on the trails.
    Whyte 801
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Weather not so good so trails will be loads quieter.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap