Jeans

martinwitnam
martinwitnam Posts: 439
edited January 2012 in The bottom bracket
As a reasonably regular cyclist being of the Jan Ullrich cadence model, that being slow and chugging, I have ended up with quite muscular thighs.
So I've noticed of late that it's becoming harder and harder to find a pair of jeans that fit over my thighs.
Does anyone else have this problem?

Can we fix it?
Yes we can!

Comments

• MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Try Howies jeans, they're quite loose in the thigh.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    I struggle a lot with sizing and have as yet to find a solution.34waist but I have some 36 and 38's that are too tight around my fat thighs :P
  • MattC59
    For all those with big thighs :

http://www.howies.co.uk/mens/products-1/jeans.html

I think stocks are a little low at the moment, due to the sale, but they'll be back soon.

Great fit, great quality. (The Warm 49ers are FANTASTIC !!!)
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    MattC59 wrote:

I think stocks are a little low at the moment, due to the sale, but they'll be back soon.

Jeez, I haven't paid more than £12 for a pair of jeans in years!
  • PostieJohn
    PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
    edited January 2012
    Just wear shorts, 12 months of the year.
  • MattC59
    Gizmodo wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:

Care to share ? (not your jeans, but the place you got them from :D ) I could do with spending less, at the moment !!
  • Up until now I've bought my jeans from Primark but all of a sudden they seem to have removed fabric from the thigh area!

Can we fix it?
    Yes we can!
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    MattC59 wrote:
    Gizmodo wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:

Care to share ? (not your jeans, but the place you got them from :D ) I could do with spending less, at the moment !!
    Sainsburys or Tesco, they start at £3. Ok I might have to buy the next waist size up and wear a belt to get them over my thighs, but better that than shell out £75. I can then put the money to Assos bib shorts :D
  • I have next jeans they are the Oversize label ones and they are great for big thighs.bought them at beginning of last year so not sure if you can still get them? Good luck
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    Sounds like someone is bragging. Just get tailor made jeans ;)

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • Gizmodo wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:

Not just jeans that are tight then! :lol:
    If suffer we must, let's suffer on the heights. (Victor Hugo).
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Timberland work really well for me - but they're not cheap - about £80 last time I looked (but the only pair I have I got in TK Maxx for about £30).

They're a proper roomy thigh fit and actually come to your waist unlike most stupid trousers nowadays.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    I got two pairs in Marks & Sparks today for £15 each. Quite a nice tailored fit too, most cheap pairs hang like a potatoe sack. They're stretch fit so they should be ok over the OP's fat ar$e (I don't believe that muscular thighs tale for a minute).
  • I have a 34" waist but need 38" - 40" for legs.... to feel comfortable.

I find the cheapest from Primark etc.. are the best fit because the sizes are never accurate anyway.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    As a reasonably regular cyclist being of the Jan Ullrich cadence model, that being slow and chugging, I have ended up with quite muscular thighs.
    So I've noticed of late that it's becoming harder and harder to find a pair of jeans that fit over my thighs.

Sorry to burst your bubble but I think it is just how jeans are these days rather than muscular thighs. My thighs aren't that big and yet jeans are very tight there even when they are dropping off my waist / hips :wink:
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    i find they are tight on my calves....but if buy jeans that fit my legs the waist is bleeding massive

chinos are the way forward anyways.......
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    edited January 2012
    Pross wrote:

Sorry to burst your bubble but I think it is just how jeans are these days rather than muscular thighs. My thighs aren't that big and yet jeans are very tight there even when they are dropping off my waist / hips :wink:

I think you are right, it's hard to find 'normal' jeans now that fashion has gone towards low waisted skinny jeans. It's certainly a problem I've encountered anyway, I seem to be stuck between either having to buy old man jeans that come up to my chest like Steve Jobs or the low-waisted ones designed for kids to show their underwear off.
  • MattC59
    Pross wrote:

I think Pross has hit the nail on the head.
    From what I have seen, you are supposed to wear your jeans with the waist just below your ar*e. therefore giving your legs a little more room; the ar*e part of the jean will be around your thighs and the thigh part around your calves.
  • Lazarus
    Lazarus Posts: 1,426
    Up until now I've bought my jeans from Primark but all of a sudden they seem to have removed fabric from the thigh area!

After shopping around trying to get jeans to fit , Primark came to the rescue :D two words though " Comfort Fit " anything else just wont do.
    A punctured bicycle
    On a hillside desolate
    Will nature make a man of me yet ?
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    What type of body shape is everyone posting in this thread? For all the muscle mass and disproportionately large legs, I can't imagine even Hushovd and Cancellara struggling to find jeans.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • I find Next loose fit has enough room for muscley legs and fits reasonably around the waist too.

http://www.next.co.uk/x492498s4#829446x49

I need to go up a size from a 32 to 34 and they're not hugely loose round the legs but they're the best I've found. (I'm buggered if I'm paying over £50 for a pair of jeans as I'll put the crotch through in a year).
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    Ha! I got some really nice jeans from the local charity shop but found they were way too short, but on mentioning it to my mate his kid piped up they're meant to be short, not meant to be hitched up around your belly button, they hang off your arse; to which he got a look of disgust off his dad. The kid was right, they are meant to hang off me arse but at 35 I'm too old for that and my yfronts do not need that sort of exposure!
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Get some of these from Georgie Boy for the full cycling fan look: http://www.hincapie.com/products/menswear/casual/